Best Bitter - Secondary or leave it alone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I have a best bitter English ale in my primary, which has been there for one week. It's done fermenting, with a FG of 1.010.

My question is, should I rack it to a secondary for a couple of weeks, or leave it in the primary? I've read some conflicting information on this, but my gut tells me to rack it to a carboy to let it clear. Thoughts?

If I was bottling it I would probably rack it, if you keg then leave it alone until your ready to transfer.

Racking won't hurt it, and I racked mine that I just bottled. There's not really a wrong answer here, though. I do think a secondary makes it easier to end up with less sediment in my bottles, so that's why I do it with most of my brews, but that's more personal habit than anything at this point. Also, I only have one primary at the moment, so conditioning in primary means I can make less beer.

I'd leave it. I only primary all my English ales (3 weeks). If you can, you might crash cool it for a couple days to help clear it, but even this isn't necessary. The ones I've crash-cooled have been very clear. The ones I haven't, have been clear enough for me. Most English yeast strains have good flocculation characteristics, so while you might get a little bit more sediment in the bottle, it should stay there when pouring (assuming you're bottling).

I decided to move it to a secondary, since I'm bottling it. Besides, this question seems to be one of personal preference, rather than one of required technique. Thanks everyone, now I know!

Back