Problems with Corney Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleFisted

Reaction score
I have been making a few sodas lately so I boost up the psi to 30. When I do this I get a slight hissing sound out of my corney kegs where the quick disconnect and "nipple" goes together. Does that mean my seals are bad? because it never did it when I ran 12 psi for my beers.

I have a couple that stick a bit, usually if I push the poppet in it stops. You could always try using a bit of lube on it too (take it apart). If you still have a problem you could always buy a replacement poppet.

This keg is actually only been used one other time before today so I have not replaced the seals. So maybe just take the quick disconnect off and press the poppet down with like a screw driver or something?

This keg is actually only been used one other time before today so I have not replaced the seals. So maybe just take the quick disconnect off and press the poppet down with like a screw driver or something?

No, the o-ring needs to be replaced.

I have been making a few sodas lately so I boost up the psi to 30. When I do this I get a slight hissing sound out of my corney kegs where the quick disconnect and "nipple" goes together. Does that mean my seals are bad? because it never did it when I ran 12 psi for my beers.

My guess would be that the O-ring on the post is worn out or otherwise damaged. It's not the poppet if it is leaking when the quick disconnect is attached. If it leaks when the disconnect is not attached, it is likely the poppet, but you should be able to see the leak if you wet the poppet and it bubbles. Least likely would be the dip tube O-ring as they don't see much wear and tear, but they can eventually fail as well. The good news is that the post O-ring is very easy to remove and replace. Cheap too.

Back