Premier malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here are the directions. Paraphrased a bit.

1) empty can and 2lbs. Granulated sugar into fermenting bin. Boil 1/2 gallon water, cool slightly and stir into malt extract/sugar mixture.
2) add 34 pints of cold water and stir thoroughly. The final temperature of the mixture should be approximately 65-75 degrees.
3) sprinkle the provided brewing yeast onto the prepared mixture.
4) cover container with lid and insert airlock.
5) stand the fermenting bin in a place between 65-75 degrees for 7-10 days.

I picked this can up for $6.50 at a local grocer here in kalispell, mt called rosauers.

1.050 sg

Thanks for your info, thats about ten bucks less than the can kits at most HBS.s.

I think you are the only person , so far, to report finding it in the north, most others have been from the deep south east.

MAsteveINE

It's been about 18 hrs and the airlock hasn't moved at all. It had an expiration date of August 2011. The current room temperature is 60 degrees and the stick on thermometer is reading 64. I put it in the room when the mixture was 72 degrees. Do I have a bad batch of yeast?

First did you make a yeast starter best way to tell if your yeast is good? Second it may be too cool depending on what yeast your using. warm it up a bit middle to upper 60's atleast. 18 hours isnt all that long especially with the lower temps..
It's been about 18 hrs and the airlock hasn't moved at all. It had an expiration date of August 2011. The current room temperature is 60 degrees and the stick on thermometer is reading 64. I put it in the room when the mixture was 72 degrees. Do I have a bad batch of yeast?

I raised the temp in the room to 65-70. If it still doesn't burp after 36hrs. should I add a different yeast?

I picked up four different kinds (the only ones they had) from the local health food store.
Munton's Gold, Munton's active brewing yeast, Danstar Nottingham and Danstar Windsor.

Any suggestions?

My case of Premier light came with Danstar Windsor, the dark had silver packets with three tiny letters and identification.
You can check the lid and air lock seal by a tiny tap of a finger on the lid, it should make a bubble, if not check that system.
Still nothng open up, stir like the devil, add yeast ans seal up again.

Good Luck.

MAsteveINE

Found a place in Arkansas that sells cases 12 cans for $78.90 and they wont ship it, you have to pick it up.. Lucky for me i will be about 25 miles from there next month I am have added it to the schedule! Why not right!

So after almost 48 hrs and no action I decided to go with adding some Nottingham. I added the yeast to 3 oz water and 1 oz apple juice that I had boiled and let come down to 80*. I poured the yeast on top and let it sit for 15 minutes or so and then stirred it up. Another 20 mins or so and it was nice and foamy then added it to the wort.

So after almost 48 hrs and no action I decided to go with adding some Nottingham. I added the yeast to 3 oz water and 1 oz apple juice that I had boiled and let come down to 80*. I poured the yeast on top and let it sit for 15 minutes or so and then stirred it up. Another 20 mins or so and it was nice and foamy then added it to the wort.

24 hrs. or so later and it's bubbling away. I apparently had bad yeast or killed it myself.

I'd make it just as described, maybe have gramps over to supervise and tell prohibition stories. When it's finished, have another BS session.

This was a scary time in our country, one that shaped the way we make beer to this day. Embrace it! I wish my grandfather was still around to share stuff like this with.

Totally agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Honestly, I don't brew so I can drink the strongest IPA(which I think tastes like stomach bile) Or the richest Dark stout, but all the same we do it for the art and the "I made this" feeling. IPA is a **** beer in my opinion - from a time when long shipping routes were used ansd soldiers in India and Australia etc just had to have their English brew. Normal brew couldn't make the long journey. Now that it's not the case should this style be forgotten? Fack no! I hate it but still, It should be embraced - as you said, for histories sake. I've been looking for this malty recipe for about 2 years now - so glad I found it. This is gonna be great. Might not be the best tasting, but still - great! I'm gonna make gallons worth LOL:tank:

It's been about 7 days and I am still getting bubbles out of the airlock about every twenty seconds.

I am using a Brewer's Best Ale Bucket with spigot to do my primary in. Right now my plan is to not use a secondary and let it finish on the yeast cake.

Then bottle at three weeks from the primary bucket and add a sugar primer to each bottle via a medical dropper (not my idea, I read it elsewhere on this forum).Then let in sit in the bottles for two weeks.

What should my final gravity be before I bottle?

How do I make sure my bottles don't over carb? I have read about the stove top pasteurization and that sounds a little sketchy to me.

What other options are out there to stop fermentation and avoid bottle bombs?

Here is the recipe I used:
1 2.2 lbs. can of PME Extra Pale
2 lbs. cane sugar
2.5 gals. spring water
2 ts Nottingham yeast (I think I killed the yeast that came with it, so after 36 hrs. and no action I started some Nottingham in a warm mixture of apple juice and water and tossed it in after it had a good foam going)
SG of 1.050

Thanks

Just from what I've learned on here, and read from a book so far you don't want to bottle until you know fermentation has pretty much stop. My understanding of the priming sugars for bottling are that there will still be yeast in your brew, and it will ferment in the bottles. You just want the fermentation in your primary to be done so that your not adding to many fermentables to it, and giving yourself bottle bombs. But I could be way off on this, hopefully not I'm hoping I'm learning. A more experienced HBT member will definitely tell you what your needing to know.

yeah. thats right. once all the fermentables are completely gone then you add your priming sugar right before bottling. im not sure what your FG should be. but if your gonna leave it for about a month in primary then you shouldn't have a problem. also if you have a hydrometer and you check it for a few days in a row and it doesn't change then you should be good. a good idea is to put the bottles back in the box they came in and put them away from everything just to be safe. this is what i do and haven't had any bombs yet.(knock on wood)

I'm glad i found this thread. sounds like a good easy brew for a party or something. also the history is pretty neat. its cool because i don't have a home brew store in my area :( so if i didn't feel like waiting for something online to ship i could just use this. hope i can find it!

Haha.. I like the taste of my stomach bile :)
Totally agree. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Honestly, I don't brew so I can drink the strongest IPA(which I think tastes like stomach bile) Or the richest Dark stout, but all the same we do it for the art and the "I made this" feeling. IPA is a **** beer in my opinion - from a time when long shipping routes were used ansd soldiers in India and Australia etc just had to have their English brew. Normal brew couldn't make the long journey. Now that it's not the case should this style be forgotten? Fack no! I hate it but still, It should be embraced - as you said, for histories sake. I've been looking for this malty recipe for about 2 years now - so glad I found it. This is gonna be great. Might not be the best tasting, but still - great! I'm gonna make gallons worth LOL:tank:

yeah. not trash talking anyones beer (i guess i kinda did. but i didnt mean it) just really not my style. i like the malty stuff. hops are important. and good. but i guess im just sensitive to them or something. ipa's taste like hop tea to me. all hops thats all i get.

Funny you mention Hop tea.. years ago way before i started any homebrewing.. I bought some hops and actually made tea out of it.. mixed in some annise and it was really good.. yeah bitter too but then again i like it that way.

you know what they say.. I am bitter and i like it that way :)

yeah. not trash talking anyones beer (i guess i kinda did. but i didnt mean it) just really not my style. i like the malty stuff. hops are important. and good. but i guess im just sensitive to them or something. ipa's taste like hop tea to me. all hops thats all i get.

I bought a can of Premeir Malt Extract(light) yesterday for $2 - yes, still in date. I put a whole can into a MB kit- per directions of course - with 1 cup of white and 1 cup brown sugar. I basically got the recipe off this forum and not the can. OG: 1.055 -I hope this works. I have 4 more cans - so if anyone has a tried and true recipe PLMK.....Thanx

I'm from Tennessee originally and moonshining has long been a family tradition. During especially cold winters the fam would abandon the idea of spending all night in the woods and turn to fermenting this stuff in shallow pans underneath my bed. I just remember everything smelling like a giant fart and drinking uncarbonated beer. After that experience, it's a wonder that I ever thought homebrewing would be a good idea.

I was a little guy (elementary school) and they used shallow pans because that's what they did in "the olden days" according to my great grandpa. My family is a bunch of hicks. They just wanted to get hammered. My great grandfather did everything as they did during prohibition and while the beer was slightly fizzy, I wouldn't call it legitimately carbonated. I think this is because they didn't really add a priming solution and it was also bottled in empty shine jars.

Thanks to landlockt's post I knew where to go find Premier malt in my town (Kalispell, Montana). So I bought some after work and brewed it up tonight.

My recipe was very simple: boil 1 gallon water, add 1 can malt extract, add 2 cups Karol light syrup, bring back to a boil for 15 minutes.

Then into the Mr Beer fermenter, topped up to 8.5 quarts (O.G.=1.051), poured in my washed Nottingham yeast from a previous brew, and we will see what happens.

This is only my 4th try at brewing, and of course I had the classic issue of the spigot leaking around the washer, so I had to stick my arm in the wort to seal it up. Hopefully that isn't lethal to the beer.

Also, thanks to everyone on this forum, there is more information here than any book you can buy.

Thanks to landlockt's post I knew where to go find Premier malt in my town (Kalispell, Montana). So I bought some after work and brewed it up tonight.

My recipe was very simple: boil 1 gallon water, add 1 can malt extract, add 2 cups Karol light syrup, bring back to a boil for 15 minutes.

Then into the Mr Beer fermenter, topped up to 8.5 quarts (O.G.=1.051), poured in my washed Nottingham yeast from a previous brew, and we will see what happens.

This is only my 4th try at brewing, and of course I had the classic issue of the spigot leaking around the washer, so I had to stick my arm in the wort to seal it up. Hopefully that isn't lethal to the beer.

Also, thanks to everyone on this forum, there is more information here than any book you can buy.

Good luck with it!

Finally was able to taste my Preimere Malt Extract/ Mr Beer Brew. Not too bad - could have used more priming sugar for more head- but it carbed okay. I used one 2.2 can in a MB Keg with 1 cup of white and 1 cup of brown sugar. Used the included yeast packet also. Fermented for 3 weeks and conditioned for 2 weeks. Taste like a Guinness Light to me. Gonna add more hops to my next batch....Cheers!
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/smokediverxxx/IMG00157-20110320-1720.jpg

Interesting picture of the brew. Was it a Dark Extract?

I ask as I have a Premier Dark Extract in the secondary right now. Used 3# of Dark DME and 1.2# Dark LME along with the can for a 5 gallon batch. The LME was expired, so we'll see how this one tastes. I'm thinking it'll be fine, any funkiness with the flavor will probably just add to the Premier, not detract.

New to this thread. Sorry if this is a repeat. Premier malt extract is what used to be Blue Ribbon malt extract prior to 1980. We used to make this back in the 70's before the current brewing craze took off. We used the directions on the can with dextrose instead of table sugar and 1/2 tsp of sugar in each bottle when we bottled it. Refrigerate for a day before opening and carefully pour into well chilled glasses to eliminate working up the residue from the bottom of the bottle. :mug:

Update to using the Premier Dark Malt Extract: This actually turned out decently. The only problem I have with it is it's a big light, mouthfeel-wise. Also I may throw in hops next time instead of depending on the hop extract they added. Other than that, I'll keep this one on hand for when the temperatures start dropping.

Was reading recently that hopped extracts have the bittering of the hops and not much of the flavoring due to all the cooking involved so taking the water with finishing hops for a quick boil before adding the malt syrup, or mix the water and syrup and boiling that.

Over the centuries beer has been an amazing assortment of beverages, my dictionary
says it is anything that is fermented but not distilled. The old moonshine makers drank freely of their wort and took home a bucket, I have a recipe for Peach Beer, 40 lbs white sugar and 7 bushels of rotten peaches, the woods are full of lore about beer from
molasses, so the old loggers, road builders, river boaters, ranch hands and soldiers had
had good and ample reason for including a barrel of molasses on every grocery order.
Blue Ribbon Malt Extract was shipped nationwide as a bakery ingredient, there are cookbooks out there that went with it. However for the working guy who could squeeze out the price of a can and come up with something sweet to add in it was a matter of stir it all up in a crock and throw a horse blanket over it till Saturday night. I guess in order to understand one has to be totally stone broke while hard working for years...and years.

MAsteveINE

First post on this board. Wow this thread goes on...

I'm an AG brewer, but my wife brought home a can of this PME. So a few weeks ago, at the end of a brew day, I threw a beer together with this can. I only made a three gallon batch, so as to not use so much sugar. I added enough brown sugar to bring the OG to 1.051 and threw in about an ounce of Amarillo pellets to make sure it had some decent hop flavor. I boiled the water and extract for 20 minutes and added the hops at 10 and the brown sugar at 5. As I was just throwing this together and not expecting much of a drinkable result, I forgot to add yeast nutrient and whirlflock. The ferment went a a little slow (12 days--I don't know how old the dry yeast was, but I rehydrated). I put the beer in my 3gal keg and it turns out it is a drinkable, dare I say, enjoyable beverage. The brown sugar and Amarillo hops gave this beer an interesting citrusy honey flavor. A little cloudy with the absence of whirlflock. Not bad for approx. $5-6 total cost.

Revvy linked this thread to me. I wish this was still good to use, but it's unfortunately not. Still thought some might like to see a 30 year old (or so) can of Blue Ribbon Extract.

Revvy linked this thread to me. I wish this was still good to use, but it's unfortunately not. Still thought some might like to see a 30 year old (or so) can of Blue Ribbon Extract.

seemingly...the picture didn't download, lets try again...

Blue Ribbon.jpg

I bought a case of it last year from a grocery wholesaler in northern Arkansas. used it a few times as a kicker to my other beers and once alone with specialty grains..it had a mild cider flavor ofcourse i dry hopped it too and added extra hops in the boil..lol not bad easy to drink for me

Interesting. I've never seen it in any stores around Cincinnati area. Any Cincy brewers know where to find this stuff?

This thread brings back good memories! I used Pale-Dry Premier Malt Extract to make lagers back in the 1970’s, when it was a basic ingredient in some of the recipes advocated in Leigh P. Beedle’s “Brew It Yourself”, a home-brew bible of the era. Other ingredients were 3 pounds of light or dark dried malt extract, brewers’ yeast, nutrients, etc., corn sugar for priming. No cane sugar-derived ingredients. Beedle didn’t like the unbeer-like flavors imparted by sugar cane, and his recipes were all-malt. I have to say I agreed with him. I used to vary the recipes by adding small quantities of crystal malt and I replaced light dried malt with amber dried malt. I was trying to imitate Marzenbier, which was my favorite while I was stationed with the Third Infantry Division in Wurzburg, Germany. This recipe came reasonably close, I used to think. Having recently discovered that the Premier Malt line still exists (I thought for years that it was extinct) I’ve ordered a case of Pale-Dry and will try my hand again. One change, though, the cans have been reduced from 3 pounds to 2.2 pounds (1 kg). I am not very concerned about the smaller quantity of fermentables, but I wonder if the “Pale-Dry” cans will have enough hops now. I will order some Hallertauer pellets (a typical Bavarian hop) and experiment. Beedle maintained that all the 1970’s era hopped products in the Premier line were over-hopped for the recipes I described above, except for “Pale-Dry” grade. If you bought one of the other grades, you were advised to reduce the liquid malt by one-third of a can to avoid excessive bittering. Maybe, that was the point of the can change? But for all I know, they may have changed the formula, as well as the can size. The sales lady at Premier told me that most of the old customers did not modify their recipes when they changed the cans however.
Oldlager

Hi all,
Joined the forum just to tag onto this topic. Had a neighbor bring over some old cans of Premier Light that someone in his family just had laying around for years. I can't determine the age of the cans, but it's the 1kg can Produced in the UK and not Canada. The price tag looks old, but it's marked at 5.99 so the guy was eaither paying too much for it or the price tells me they can't be that old. The Yeast comes in a blank white packet and did not start fermentation in a starter, so I bought a 6g pack of Muntons premium gold yeast and sprinkled it over:
-2 cans of extract brought to boil with 2 gallons water
-Soaked some oatmeal in a bag in the water. Threw a 1/4 cup of it straight into the wort
-Brought it to 5 gallons and mixed in 3 cups light brown sugar and 2 cups white granular sugar. Got a reading of 1.051 just before I pitched the yeast into ~ 78 degree wort.

Waited...and waited. Only after a full day did it even start to bubble in the air lock. It's never gone into a full fast, gurgling, bubble that I would expect out of that much sugar in the mix. And I have to give it a good swirl and keep the temps higher(~76-78F) that I am used to to keep it fermenting. It's been 8 days since I pitched the yeast and and 7 days since the first bubbles. I just took a reading and it's down to 1.032, but I'm used to the kits I buy being completly done in a week. Questions:
1. Was that too much sugar for 6g of muntons yeast? Do I need to add more yeast?
2. Could the extract just flat out be too old and it's throwing a wrench in the process?
3. Do I just need to be patient, keep stirring it up and keep the heat up on it?

The wort still had foam on the top of it and Im getting bubbles again after I took a reading, put the lid back on and swirled it. Thoughts?

My grandfather also brewed with this malt and I have a 1950's-1960's recipe laying around somewhere. I know he used 1 can of malt, 5lbs of sugar, and diced up a potato in it, heated it like he was mashing it out and it said cool to 78* and add 1 cake of yeast. I also seem to remember bottles exploding in the basement as a child too :) I know he had shelves full of them all over the basement.

Back