Oxyclean ring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
So I got lazy and left 6 1 gallon jugs full of oxyclean for a few weeks. Just rinsed them and noticed some were hazy, others had a ring around the water line in them. Did not scrub off with a bottle brush. I was able to scrub some with a scotchbrite pad but obviously that will not work inside the whole jug.

I searched on here and found some mention of residue from oxyclean and using vinegar and hot water to remove. Was this just because I left it too long? I have not noticed it in carboys before. Usually rinse them in a day or so. Is this what I have going on? Should I be rinsing my kegs with vinegar too since I cannot see if there is residue as easily in them? What is the recommended ratio of vinegar to water? I have a big o\'ole just of distillad white vinegar awaiting...

How hard is it to then rinse the vinegar out?

This may sound strange, but I think that soaking in Oxyclean would get that off. Hear me out.

Leaving it for weeks makes me thing that the oxyclean in them was used up, and left a residue of the cleaning chemical and whatever it cleaned off the inside of the bottles.

I think that if you fill them up with fresh Oxyclean and water, to above the line left by the old Oxyclean, it'll be fine after an overnight soak.

I have done this same thing before. What I did was to remove some of the water from the carboy and replace it with hot water to above the ring. Mix it up a bit and let it soak for a while. Make sure you use enough hot water to make the whole solution nice and warm. Hit it with a brush and then thoroughly rinse it with cool water. You should be good to go after that. Let us know if it doesn't come clean for you.

You can use some white vinegar to remove the ring. We have really hard water and every once in a while I get a water/cleaner build up in the carboys. I toss a little white vinegar in there and shake it around to strip the build up off. I'm afraid I've never measured the vinegar but it's probably about a cup with a few cups of warm water. Just rinse the heck out of it when you're finished. Rinse until you can't smell the vinegar, then rinse one more time.

Back