Custom stove top using coils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xben

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing on my stove top, on a 8" coil, with my 17" diameter pot. The coil is a bit tired of all that weight so I had the idea of building my own stove top using 3 or 4 8-inch coils. This way, the heat surface would be much more optimized and the boil would start earlier. My only concern is the frame...:confused: It's obvious I can't use wood because of the heat generated by the coils! I would use knob controls for each coil as well.

Is it a good idea? Any thoughts on how I could build this without using heat sensible materials?

thanks!!!

I'm currently able to boil 5-gallon in ~1 hour using only one 8-inch coil. Using 3 or 4 coils will most probably help me cutting this in half. I thought about adding an electric element, but I'm afraid of leaks, the controls are a bit expensive and I would absolutely need to install a GFCI breaker/outlet ($$$).

I've done this. And I know I wasn't first either.
Though here we don't have bare coils, but hot plates. Built mine out of three 1kW plates. A friend welded up the frame for me. If you like I could take some pictures and show you what it looks like, but I don't know if it will help you since it is not built on coils.
Though, I never finished that project. I had trouble getting the thre plates lined up perfectly to be flat, leaving one plate having poor contact and starting to overheat. I never really put much effort into it, I bet I could shim it to be flat, but I just decided I wanted a real induction hob. Maybe coils are easier to get flat, but I know if I were to do this again, I would not do it this way. I would make a stand for the pot that can support it and just adjust the plates until they press against the pot.
Anyway, this thread is what inspired me, maybe it can be some help to you.
It can be done, but I'd advice you to consider you options first.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you for all your ideas.. it looks like it's much more complicated than I thought, specifically on time consuming building something that may not work at all! I'll maybe consider portable induction plate instead...;)

thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back