Post mix soda on beer tower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novice_guy

Reaction score
I'm working on building a beer new beer tower. I'm wanting to put some kind of post mix soda faucet on it. The face of the tower will be flat. So far these are the only thing that I've found and they seem kind of expensive:
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php...d=1766&zenid=284228f6575ce6fc32f0e99a65f87b7f
Plus on top of the price I have yet to find any specs or instructions manual.

Does anyone have a good idea for a valve/faucet that will mount to my tower for use with post mix soda?

I've thought about a valve off of a normal gas station style soda machine but I'm not sure how the lines would attach. Look at Flowmatic it looks like they use a special oring fitting, but I may be wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA

Lancer has a great powerpoint on understanding how post mix works. I'd browse through that to get a general idea on how a system should work and that should give you some thoughts on whether it will work for you or not.

I'm not sure how a typical post mix system will mesh with the post mix faucet you have listed. I guess it functions the same, just with a lever vs. solenoid. Do you already have a carbonator and syrup pumps?

If you have one faucet on your tower dedicated to soda, what's the benefit of putting it in as post mix, why not just dedicate one keg to soda and run it as premix? I run kegs of soda through a perlick without much difficulty.

Lancer has a great powerpoint on understanding how post mix works. I'd browse through that to get a general idea on how a system should work and that should give you some thoughts on whether it will work for you or not.

I'm not sure how a typical post mix system will mesh with the post mix faucet you have listed. I guess it functions the same, just with a lever vs. solenoid. Do you already have a carbonator and syrup pumps?

If you have one faucet on your tower dedicated to soda, what's the benefit of putting it in as post mix, why not just dedicate one keg to soda and run it as premix? I run kegs of soda through a perlick without much difficulty.

There is really not a lot of benefit to post mix EXCEPT that there is no mixing and also the "cool factor" I guess. Plan be has always been a corny full of water and bag-in-a-box syrup. I'm just looking for another better option before I go that way.

I own a post mix machine and have it running at my shop. If I were you, I would just mix the syrup and water in a keg and dispense it as a premix. Also, unless you can have a friend who can help you get the syrup for cheaper, there really isn't any savings in by the bag-in-a-box over picking up 2 liter bottles for a $1 each, in fact the bottles maybe cheaper then paying retail for the box of syrup. If I was going to start over with the idea and if I really wanted to use a post mix setup, I would try to find one of the little soda mate, self contained dispensers. Yes, the idea of the syrup box is nifty, but you will need a syrup pump, which is normally driven off of your co2 tank or a well filtered/dried airline, a carbonator, and off course your dispensing valve. This also means that you will need to run a water line to your kegerator and have a way to quickly chill the water to keep the soda from instantly going flat, as pouring hot soda over ice just doesn't work well for staying carbonated.
We won't even talk about the mess you will have if you have a syrup line rupture and it sprays syrup all of the floor, walls, and ceiling. On the plus side, you can remotely mount the syrup boxes and carbonator in your garage or basement, so if something happens, it is not nearly as bad to clean up.

In theory, I think you could run the type of post mix faucet you're looking at with a keg of syrup and a keg of carbonated water, (meaning no motorized carbonator and no syrup pumps) but I am not sure how exactly you get the ratio correct.

Back