Mixing Rye and Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamfein

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has done a beer with 50% wheat malt and 50% rye malt.

I have been searching the net for a recipe but most people mix rye with barley malt,

Cheers for the help

Roggenbier is 50% barley and roughly equal parts rye/wheat for the rest. If you go with all rye and wheat, make sure you have plenty of rice hulls!

Whats the craic with the rice hulls, is this to aid the mash? i have used rye before and the grain is quite small so i think it can be hard to mash, hence why most brewers dont use it 100%,

Cheers AJWILLYS, Roganbier is kind of what i was going for with a twist, most roganbiers have quite a high percentage of barley malt. my thinking in the beer i want to brew is have a completely barley free beer.. i really like the spicyness of the rye and the creaminess of the wheat, i can imagine the marriage of the two grains would be tasty

I'm interested!

I, too, love rye! It's what got me into partial mashing. I think I used just under 20% rye and wasn't where I wanted. I'll be making another this coming month and I've upped it to ~30% (3 lbs in 5.5 gal) to see if it's what I'm after.

One of my wife's favorite beers came from this Brew Your Own article. His first recipe is a straight wheat beer. His second recipe uses a blend of wheat and rye.

http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2007-american-wheat-style-profile

The recipe as written has about 45% 2-row as a base with a blend of 30% wheat malt and 25% Rye malt. I've played with malt percentages and yeast strains on this over the years. I like the taste rye imparts and usually swap the percentages and go a little heavier on the rye than the wheat. I especially like the higher % of rye malt if I am using a cleaner yeast (i.e., an American wheat vs. a German Hefe). With the more neutral yeast, the extra rye gives it a little more character.

One really tasty interpretation I made was hopped all the way through with Sorachi Ace. The lemony character of that hop played really well with the wheat and rye.

I can't say enough how important it is to use rice hulls if you're an AG brewer. With over 50% huskless malt in this beer, you're just asking for a stuck sparge.

With spring on the way, I am looking at dusting this recipe off again. I recently listened to an old Jamil podcast in which he talks about using Kolsch yeast as a key to making really crisp wheat beers. I am considering going back to this recipe as written and using a Kolsch yeast at 60-62% for a nice easy-drinking beer to serve when company drops in.

Hey all,

I have now my ingredients for the Roganbier, i am going with 3kg of Wheat malt and 3kg of Rye malt, will be making 25 litres in total after boiling.

I will be using Hallertau Mittelfruh hops, 25 grams for one hour and 25g for last 10 mins.

Im unsure about the yeast, i have 4 different yeasts i can use, US-04, US-05, WB-06 and a Brewferm Blanche. Im thinking the WB-06 will suit best but i thought id see what ye guys think.

Cheers
Ian

One of my wife's favorite beers came from this Brew Your Own article. His first recipe is a straight wheat beer. His second recipe uses a blend of wheat and rye.

http://byo.com/stories/issue/item/2007-american-wheat-style-profile

The recipe as written has about 45% 2-row as a base with a blend of 30% wheat malt and 25% Rye malt. I've played with malt percentages and yeast strains on this over the years. I like the taste rye imparts and usually swap the percentages and go a little heavier on the rye than the wheat. I especially like the higher % of rye malt if I am using a cleaner yeast (i.e., an American wheat vs. a German Hefe). With the more neutral yeast, the extra rye gives it a little more character.

One really tasty interpretation I made was hopped all the way through with Sorachi Ace. The lemony character of that hop played really well with the wheat and rye.

I can't say enough how important it is to use rice hulls if you're an AG brewer. With over 50% huskless malt in this beer, you're just asking for a stuck sparge.

With spring on the way, I am looking at dusting this recipe off again. I recently listened to an old Jamil podcast in which he talks about using Kolsch yeast as a key to making really crisp wheat beers. I am considering going back to this recipe as written and using a Kolsch yeast at 60-62% for a nice easy-drinking beer to serve when company drops in.

++++1 on the rice hulls! With the wheat & rye you're going to need them.

apologies, i meant to say i will be using 500g of oat husks to help prevent the stuck sparge. im crossing both my fingers and toes that it works out

I have a recipe that uses 20% rye, add some rice hulls, no issues. Then I tried a bigger beer with 50%+ rye and it was slow runoff central, even with a proper amt of rice hulls (think 45min vs 2.5hrs).

I don't know exactly where it happens % wise on my system, but somewhere between 20-50% I need to be able to do lower temp rests to thin the proteins and beta glucans out for a better mash.

A lot of people were advocating for BIAB for something like this, but I need more toys than this well thought out simplicity involves. I'm building a RIMS tube pretty much so I can play with a ton of adjuncts (and stainless is shiny and lights are pretty).

Assuming the blanche and wb 06 (haven't used them) are german wheat stlye yeasts then either of those will work. I did a Roggenbier with 60% rye and WLP 380. That yeast worked well.

I can't imagine a Roggen would be a roggen without the spicy phenols and esters associated with a german hefe yeast. US 04 and 05 would not be a good choice (stylistically speaking).

If you were to use WB-06 would you opt for the clove or the banana flavor?

I tried that yeast strain with a honey wheat and fermented cooler than the range stated and the clove didn't play so nicely with the honey. I was hoping for more neutral and hoping if I got clove it wouldn't be too much. It was a strange beer.

I've been thinking of trying a rye and wheat beer myself. After reading this I came up with a beer that'll be 50% 2-row, 33% rye, and 17% wheat with around 25 IBUs.

So there is a brewery up here in Limerick Maine called Gneiss Brewing and they do all German wheat beers obviously with an american twist on things. They have a roggenbier that is completely barley free and is acctually 70% rye and 30% wheat. I have had it and it is THICK to say the least, very viscus beer and not my favorite but here is a link to their page. The rest of their beer is gooooooood stuff though!

http://www.gneissbeer.com/the-beers/stryeation/

Just an update on this beer, i ended up going for a small batch, 10 litres in total,

i did 500g pale wheat and 500g pale rye,

i did a BIAB so prevent any stuck sparge.

the beer is purposely very light 2.1% however the rye really makes up for the lack of body.

i used 10g magnum for 60 mins and 50g cascade for whirlpool.

i really enjoy this one, real thirst quencher

I have added a picture, for a 2% beer this really has some body and great head retention.

Wheat Rye.jpg

Hey all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has done a beer with 50% wheat malt and 50% rye malt.

I have been searching the net for a recipe but most people mix rye with barley malt,

Cheers for the help

I haven't gone that far, but I brew a wheat/rye ale with the following grain bill and cascade hops at 10 & 0. It has a lot of rye character, body and balance. I think any more isn't really needed.
50% 2 Row
25% Wheat
25% Rye

when ive gone over 30% rye, the end beer ends up having a consistency that is like nyquil. Its awful. you can combat this by doing a protein rest ive heard, but I just stay at 30 or below

[...] you can combat this by doing a protein rest ive heard, but I just stay at 30 or below[...]
Actually it's a beta glucan rest between 98 and 113°F that helps with the gumminess of rye, not a protein rest.

The high viscosity issue is why i believe that 50% rye really suits itself to very low ABV beers, if i brought the ABV of my beer from 2% to 4% and kept my proportions the same. I think it would be too thick.. so at the 2% area it is still very drinkable without having any syrupy issues..

Hey All,

I said I would put up the latest version of this idea I did,

2kg wheat malt
1kg Rye malt,
200g oat husks,

27 Litre batch in fermenter, came out at 2.6%

4g Simcoe @60
12g Sorachi Ace @ Flameout
12g Citra @ Flameout
12g El Dorado @ Flameout
Dry hopped with 20g Simcoe and the zest of 3 oranges.

Opened first bottle last night, pic attached, very orangey very light body, dry on the end with a decent amount of rye spiciness aftertaste.

I do like it, I think next ill do 1.5kg of both Wheat and Rye to make it 50% each. Or maybe add some rolled oats to bring the body up a little,

IMAG0666.jpg

Back