quick question on degassing wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
What is the purpose of degassing wine? I know it removes residual Co2 but what does it do to the taste if you don't Also when I degas wine, I usually just keep the whip going until the bubbles stop rising.. I have been on this batch for 10 minutes and it is still going strong...any advice or ideas?

the gas will come out sometime, better you remove it than wait for the bottle to pressurize and blow the cork out the end of the bottle

Ok I'm new to wine making but am making this kit as my first one. I have followed the instructions to a T. Everything has went well until this degassing step. Everything read right on the hydrometer according to the instructions and I started the 2 minute degassing step using a whip attached to my dewalt drill. I did it for 2 minutes as they suggested and then checked it by drawing a sample and shaking it with my hand over the vial and then let go and it still had pressure. So I did this like 3 more times and then decided to shake the carboy vigorously by hand which I did by keeping the hole covered while I was shaking. I would stop uncover and gas would escape. I did this about 5 times. I then checked again in the vial and still had presssure. What am I doing wrong? I finally gave up since I had degassed about 15 minutes total. Is this sufficient? This is the kit.
White Zinfandel (Vintner's Reserve)

Ok I'm new to wine making but am making this kit as my first one. I have followed the instructions to a T. Everything has went well until this degassing step. Everything read right on the hydrometer according to the instructions and I started the 2 minute degassing step using a whip attached to my dewalt drill. I did it for 2 minutes as they suggested and then checked it by drawing a sample and shaking it with my hand over the vial and then let go and it still had pressure. So I did this like 3 more times and then decided to shake the carboy vigorously by hand which I did by keeping the hole covered while I was shaking. I would stop uncover and gas would escape. I did this about 5 times. I then checked again in the vial and still had presssure. What am I doing wrong? I finally gave up since I had degassed about 15 minutes total. Is this sufficient? This is the kit.
White Zinfandel (Vintner's Reserve)

No, unfortunately, it's not enough. I'm not sure why it happens, but I had a kit this month that took three DAYS to degas, even with my drill and wine whip.

What I guess is that it's been colder, and colder solutions "hold onto" co2 so much better. Getting the wine in the warmest place in your house and degassing with the wine whip until no more bubbles show will help.

I did it at least an hour the first day, the put it aside and did it again for another hour the following day. By the third day, the gas was nearly gone when I started up, and finally stopped with bubbles. Just keep it covered and airlocked when you're not working with it, and spend the extra time doing it. I'm shocked their instructions say "2 minutes"! But I have had some wine kits that degassed in 10-15 minutes easily with my drill and wine whip.

OK I will do it more Tom. I hop I didn't mess it up by shaking it so much

No, shaking works too! Before I had the wine whip doo-dad, I did a lot of shaking and hand stirring.

Another thing that seems to work (if you have it) is a mity-vac. You know, those little vacuum pumps that you use to bleed brakes? They will still take a long time, but definitely would be labor saving!

Ok how do you adapt the mighty vac to the carboy and what is the standard procedure to follow when using it. I am in my 14 day clearing stage and the instructions said that my wine would not clear if it wasn't degassed. I am going to take another sample tonight and check it.

Ok how do you adapt the mighty vac to the carboy and what is the standard procedure to follow when using it. I am in my 14 day clearing stage and the instructions said that my wine would not clear if it wasn't degassed. I am going to take another sample tonight and check it.

I don't have one, but I think I've seen videos of the process, probably on youtube. I have seen it done, but not really paid close attention since I'll probably never own a mity-vac.

Latest posts

Back