Black Treacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devaspawn

Reaction score
I plan on making an Old Ale on New Years Day. I want to use Black Treacle. My problem is finding it. I know I can order it online but I saw something called King's Po-T-Rik syrup at my grocery store. King's also has a golden syrup. I know that Lyle's makes a golden syrup and a black treacle. It looks as though the two golden syrups are both light treacles. My question to you guys out there is, are the Po-t-rik and the black treacle supposed to be similar products. They are both made with molasses.

:tank:

I'm pretty sure that either dark molasses or black strap molasses will get you the same result. Dark molasses should be the same as treacle, we just don't use that name for it here in the states.

Jamil says there's a taste difference. Also, from what I've read about it the process is slightly different in making it.

Yeah, I have some at the HB store about 60 miles away. I was just hoping that King's made there own Black Treacle and that it was this Po-T-Rik product. I can get that at the grocery store.

Back