The New Perlicks (525 &575) Post if you've used them!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajwillys

Reaction score
Hey,
With all the group buys going around and cheap deals on these faucets, I'm seriously considering upgrading my five-tapper to these. However, since they are so new, I've found no one who has actually used them. If there's anyone out there that's had a chance to use them/take them apart/scrutinize them for even a couple months, I'd love to know what you think of them.

I can't imagine they would be bad considering Perlick's reputation but I would love some peace of mind before spending $100+ switching mine out.

springer,
Thanks! Have you had time for any of them to get 'sticky' to verify that they don't get sticky?

BTW, I know the above sentence made absolutely no sense.

springer,
Thanks! Have you had time for any of them to get 'sticky' to verify that they don't get sticky?

BTW, I know the above sentence made absolutely no sense.

They are true to their origins. I have one cheapie that gets used more often and it sticks after a few days on the beer that everyone likes. The Perlick hasn't stuck once in the same time with less use with the Hefe.

I just installed one of my 525's from the group buy to test it out.
I'll be installing the other one tonight. I'll update this in a week or so.

Am installing a 525 and a 575 tonight. Will follow up and let you know.

Cool, one of the things I'm interested in is how well the creamer feature works. On my cheapie faucets, I just barely open the valve if I want to add some foam. Curious what the benefit is.

Installed a 525s and a 575s last night. Cannot speak to difference between 425 series, but they're a nice upgrade from my cheap'o taps. TBD whether they stick or not. My overall draught experience is limited but, below are my early impressions.

- Very smooth operation. Very responsive. At first, almost too responsive since I've been somewhat accustomed to pulling herky-jerky on my old taps. However, once I got used to them, enjoyed the gentle pour they afford.

- Appears same on 425 series but, appreciate Perlick's spout's angle over my old cheap'o taps. Spout reaches deeper inside the glass at start and then follows through the pour at a more natural angle. Felt like I was white-glove handling the beer.

- Tried the 575s creamer spout on an oatmeal stout which I usually carb very low. Was able to put a perfect head on every time. Tap was a bit more sensitive than 525s. Following the creamer function, took some "feeling out" to reseat valve properly. Would only be an issue with guests who are not used to the tap.

-J

Primary: RyePA, Xtra-Special Barley Wine
Secondary: Holiday Ale, Oktoberfest
On Tap: Oatmeal Stout, Scotch Ale, Belgium Wit

FlyingSparge, thanks for the analysis!

Can you check if its possible to create foam by opening the 525's just a little bit? Is it comparable to the foam of the 575 or does the 575 produce a more creamy head?

I've had a 525 installed for about a week and a half now. It's basically in a garage with no cooling.

I can't compare to the 425's, but the operation is smooth and a vast improvement from the previous rear-sealing faucets. One really neat thing, as the brochure points out, is there is no sudden "blast" of beer coming out when you pull the handle. It's a smooth pour. I've gone about 3 days between a pour and no stickiness at all.

It puts a great head on my brown ale, but I can't say to whether you can restrict it to create one.

One neat note is that you can actually rotate the handle with no ill effect. The ball/handle is seated on an o-ring, so it just keeps it sealed.

Forgot to add:
I've taken them apart and the design is quite simple. You've got two main parts: a uni-body faucet, unlike the 425 which had a screw-on faucet tip, and the handle/ball valve.

The ball is molded onto the handle so that when, closed, the ball rest tightly against an o-ring seated within the faucet body. Opening the faucet retreats the ball valve and allows the beer to flow around the ball-handle and out of the tip. You've got 4 o-rings, 2 screw caps for the handle, and a nylon washer. That's all there is to this faucet, making me believe they can actually make these a heck of a lot cheaper than the 425's.

In the coming months, the toughest part to replace would probably be the the deeply-seated o-ring of the faucet body.

I really should post some pictures.

I got my 525SS from rapids and love 'em but they are the only faucets I have had.
IMG_5713.JPG

I also have the 525SS and I love them. Always smooth operating and pretty mild foaminess on the first pour given that I don't have a fan for my tower. If I do a careful pour (tilted glass for more of the pour) I can manage it so the head level is about normal.

FlyingSparge, thanks for the analysis!

Can you check if its possible to create foam by opening the 525's just a little bit? Is it comparable to the foam of the 575 or does the 575 produce a more creamy head?

ajwillys, the 525 does create foam by opening it just a little (great trick by the way-thanks!). Only slightly less foamy than the 575 mostly because there's an easy-to-cross line between foaming and pouring. Requires a steady wrist. Only drawback could be maintaining your "foam wrist" several beers in.

Mine were in the mail friday, and jumped out of the packaging onto my new keezer. I like them but.... Like the prior posts they are wicked touchy, yeah I am from Maine. But with a little practice I will get used to them. They pour fantastic and I think I should go practice now!

:mug:

They are are 525 stainless steel faucets.

I just ordered 40 for my group. Saved a couple hundred bucks on the 8 taps for the brewhaus. :D

This website only has one perlick and I have no idea which one they are selling.

The price is good, but how are you guys getting 525s or 575s?

That link takes you directly to the 525's. I don't know anything about where people are getting the 575's.

They are are 525 stainless steel faucets.

I just ordered 40 for my group. Saved a couple hundred bucks on the 8 taps for the brewhaus. :D

How much apiece to save a couple of $100 on 8? Seems kinda hard to save that much when I bought 3 from rapids at 29 each last month.

ajwillys, the 525 does create foam by opening it just a little (great trick by the way-thanks!). Only slightly less foamy than the 575 mostly because there's an easy-to-cross line between foaming and pouring. Requires a steady wrist. Only drawback could be maintaining your "foam wrist" several beers in.

Looking at the manufacturer's website, they apparently have a model out, or coming out, that will put a foamy head on when you push it backwards.
Read for yerself.

Back