Keggerator/Fermentaion Chamber idea and questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingwin77

Reaction score
So after the last heat wave we had and all the reading I have been doing about these fermentation chambers, I have decided to design one of my own. The drawing below shows the main dimensions of what I am looking to do.

The area labeled "KEGS" will be the keggerator portion. There will be a door on the front to access the kegs and I will probably add a few shelves for yeast and hops storage. There should be enough room to get 3 corning kegs in there. On the top there will be a 3 spout tower.

The area directly behind the KEGS area will house the compressors and CO2 tanks for the kegs. This will also be where the splitter for the gas line will be so I can run a line into the fermentation area if needed for force carbonation. I'm thinking about having the lid of this area flip up to get out the CO2 tank. I think that would be easier than trying to put a door on the side of this unit.

The FERMENTATION CHAMBER is the large area to the right. There is enough room for up to (4) 6.5 gallon glass carboys or buckets. The removable divider will allow me to close of the right side of the fermentation chamber if I do not have the need for it. This way I am not wasting energy cooling air and space that is not needed. There will also be a door on the front.

The entire frame and divider will be make of 2" thick Styrofoam for insulation as well as 2"x2" wooden framing. The exterior walls will be covered in a thin wood paneling for looks and strength. The floor of both the KEGS and FERMENTATION area will be some sort of Plastic that allows for an easy and durable sliding surface.

As for the chilling components, That is where my questions begin. I have an extra wine fridge sitting at home with a busted door. It is about the size of your standard dorm fridge. Would that provide enough umph to keep this whole unit cold or would I need a second one? If a second one is needed, I would set it up so that one unit would chill the kegs and have an opening to the left side of the fermentation chamber in case I wanted to lager. The second unit would chill the right side of the fermentation chamber and keep it at the right temp for my ales.

I'm also planing on putting some cabinets above the fermentation area to help organize the rest of my brewing gear.

Any suggestions, questions and comments are more than welcome. That is why I posted.

Cheers!

The TOP view is of the FRONT of the unit
The BOTTOM view is of the TOP of the unit.
Scanned001.jpg

id think a wine fridge could cool it down but id be wondering howd you control the diff temps on each side. you may need 2 sources just for diff temps between the kegs and the fermentation chamber

Neat idea, I don't see why a dorm fridge compressor would have too much trouble. You'll definitely need to consider how to maintain two different temperatures. A second thermostat with a fan may be enough to cool the fermentation side, but I've never tried it to know for sure. Hard to say how much control you'll have over the two different temperature zones.

Interested to see how this comes out. I have wanted to do something similar for my bar but with more room on the keg side.

You might not have enough power in a wine fridge. They are not designed to go as cold as a dorm fridge. Do they have as strong a cooling system as a dorm fridge with a freezer in it? IIRC mine doesn't go below 40 degrees :( But, you got one - It's free! Go for it. Let us know how it works out!

I agree with the everyone else. The wine fridge component is not going to get very cold, red wines are not typically chilled and whites don't need to be below 40 that I have seen. This will be great for the keeping a constant temp for fermentation both ales and lagers, but you will certainly need something to bring the kegs down low enough. Now there are a few beer that are good at higher temps, but most I have had are best between 35 and 40, so a wine fridge will not get that cold. Looks like a good plan, just suggesting you would be better off with something that can offer cooler temp for the kegs. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out. I am looking for something to ferment in myself as in AZ it mostly hot, so I need a cool zone.

Latest posts

Back