Buckwheat honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytoptim

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am making a honey porter that calls for 1 lb of buckwheat honey. My LHBS quit carrying it and I was wondering if would lose some flavor if I just used regular honey?

Buckwheat honey is very, very intense and dark. It's like no other honey I've ever tasted. I've bought it at Target before, so you may be able to find it somewhere else besides the LHBS. However, I suspect your recipe would still be just fine with any other kind of honey. It'll be different, but still good.

The problem (if you can call it that) with honey is that it ferments almost completely, and leaves little or no flavor behind. Using a strongly-flavored honey such as buckwheat will allow it to keep some of its character in the finished beer.

I think most big supermarkets will have it. It's worth looking for.

Yeah, there's no real replacement for buckwheat honey. That stuff has a pretty intense flavor that just doesn't quit.

Correct above about the buckwheat honey being "special". Another very unique variety of honey is Tupelo honey. It is somewhat hard to come by, and I believe it is made exclusively in Georgia, but don't hold me to that.

The only thing I could guess would be even close to replicating it is using the lighter honey with some molasses. Buckwheat honey is such a strong, intense, and awesome flavor.

Actually, to be honest, I could probably get 1lb of buckwheat honey for you. I just called my LHBS and they still have some. I wouldn't mind shipping it to you if you're willing to wait for it. PM me if interested. I know they only have a limited supply at the moment.

Another very unique variety of honey is Tupelo honey. It is somewhat hard to come by, and I believe it is made exclusively in Georgia, but don't hold me to that.

Florida, mainly. Although maybe you can get it produced in the very south-western tip of Georgia. Its from the Apalachicola River region.

I haven't ever fermented with it, but let me tell you, that stuff is un-freakin-believeably good. I'm a bit of a honey snob now. Canadian or (shudder) Chinese honey is the same as Coors to me now, and Tupelo honey is like a fine Trappist Ale.

Basic Brewing Radio did a mead experiment with several varieties and I think the only one they rated higher than the Tupelo mead was the Orange Blossom mead.

Back