Max time for apfelwein in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
Sorry for the post. I'm sure the information I need is already on the site but there are so many pages of discussion on apfelwein that even when I search there are too many posts to go through to find the answer.

Anyhow, I've got a batch of apfelwein in the primary that has been in there for 4 weeks. It's still clearing but looking good. The problem is I'm going to be working a temp job in Idaho for two months starting this weekend. Do I need to bottle it before I go, or can I wait until I get back without any problems developing? I would prefer to wait, but I'll mess with it if I need to.

The apfelwein is currently sitting in a dark room at 65 degrees, and it will stay that way until I return. Is 3 1/2 months too long in the primary?

I left mine in the primary for 8 months and it turned out great. I used Montrachet yeast.

I have two 5-gal carboys (primaries) that were started on 4/1/09 and 5/21/09...both are fine....the older is noticably smoother but no off-flavors (yet).

I racked mine to secondary when it hit 1.013 like my wine. Not sure if I needed to, but I didn't want the yeast to give any off flavors if it decided to start consuming itself.

Latest posts

Back