diacetyl rest questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeasty

Reaction score
my first lager will likely be a fiasco ! i pitched too warm and then cooled too slow. i took it out of the fridge to give the yeast a chance to make up for my mistakes but it has been at about 65 for about 60 hours and the gravity is not dropping much and the buttery tastes is still there. should i let it "rest" longer or put it back in the fridge ? i know this will not be a great "lager" but i want o do what i can to help it taste better. OG was 1.045, i am now at 1.020, and FG is supposed to be 1.008. (AHS rolling rock clone)

Man, this sounds like a heck of a time. If it is at 1.020 then it has a long ways to go, you need to let it hang out for a longer time to finish fermentation. How long has it been so far?

Next is that the Diacetyl rest is typically done around 65*-75* after fermentation in my experience (ie...room temperature). You have to catch it either at the tail end of fermentation if making a faster beer, or in most cases at the end of fermentation.

I had some problems with making quick turn around beers where I wasn't getting the temperature up enough at the end of fermentation (that was fermented at 61*) and kegged too quickly. In the end I find that if I need beer stat, then I need to make it a month in advance or go to a local brewpub and get a keg.

it was in the primary 11 days before i took it out to rest. so i need to put it back in the fridge and wait till i reach about 1.010 ? then take it back out again ?? not worried about being quick with this batch just learning on this one for future lager brews ! i guess i got the noob impatience ! hard to adjust to a lagers when you JUST got used to waiting a month or so for ales !!!

Back