Help me decide what to brew - for the first time in 4 months!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, it's a sad story, but as summer approached several months past, my work took me out of town all week long, my other summer hobbies kicked into higher gear, I had amassed a lot of beer from brewing all winter and spring, the temperature was a little too warm to ferment happily, etc. Soo... I gave brewing a break for a few months. Before I did, I packed up some things that I could freeze (hops, etc.) or store in the fridge (DME, yeast, etc.) and its still sitting there today...

Anyway, work has brought me home for a good while and I have vacation next week so looking to brew at least one, but maybe two 5g batches. Need to start stocking homebrew again, the temps are becoming more reasonable, and I have the time!!

So, I inventoried what I packed away in storage and I'd like to use some of it to brew next week. I wanted suggestions as to what you think I should/could brew with what I have. Once you see the supply list you'll understand I could brew many, many things, but throw me some ideas (not looking to use it all in one batch either! thats not necessary) of what you think I should brew for my 'comeback'! I can make a quick HBS stop this Saturday too for some specialty grains (didn't bother storing them) or whatever else I may need for your suggestions...

Here's what I have:
HOPS
4 oz. Northern Brewer (of the 11.2% AA variety)
3 oz. Hallarteau
1oz. each of Hersbrucker, Cascade, Saaz, Perle, Williamette, Chinook
1/2oz. of Liberty
MALT
5lb Wheat DME
5lb X-Light DME
YEAST
Wyeast Flying Dog VSS
Nottingham Dry
Safale S-04
And some generic Muntons Gold back-up packets...
MISC
32oz Clover Honey

Let's get this started! Should it be a wheat, should it be a PA, IPA? I'd prefer not to have to buy darker DME or a ton of specialty grains to do a darker beer, but maybe you could convince me of that also? Haha... Looking for extract or steep+extract suggestions!!

Walker's Kaduva IPA! I think it's got northern brewer, cascade and chinook and 8 pounds of DME. All you'd need to buy is some crystal for steeping, and 3 pounds extract. His recipe is around here somewhere, probably in his signature.

I'm NOT a wheat fan, so that's my suggestion! I'm a huge fan of IPAs, though.

Edit: Here is that recipe: http://digitalninja.org/beer/kaduva_ipa.html

For the hopping, he suggesting just mixing all the hops (except for the chinook) together in a big bowl and then just dividing them up and tossing them in at those intervals. You don't actually have to measure and time all those additions!

Yooper - great suggestion! only problem is... that's the very last beer I brewed 4 months ago. I bought 8oz of NB and Cascade for the recipe, hence why I have so much NB left... Hahaha.

I still have maybe a 6 pack of it left and its still fine... I suppose b/c its a higher ABV (6-7%) and highly hopped, but still tastes great.

It's tempting to brew it again b/c I love the NB/Cascade combo... but seeing as I just brewed it the last time I brewed (even though it was 4 mo. ago) I was thinking of something else... but like I said, I might brew two batches, so this might be up. Hah!

Which hops would you use in this ESB? Love a good english esb, but I have none of what I consider the typical hops (fuggles, goldings, and friends...) for it. I would have to pick them up, which is all good I suppose. I am really craving a Goose Island type pale ale/bitter...

Which hops that I have could I hop an ESB with? Or would you pick up the ones I mentioned above. I'm sure I can use this stuff over time considering I'll be back into brewing probably through next summer again (or hopefully no break next summer!)...

Well, I formulated up this little american wheat in order to use up that wheat DME. Got my inspiration from FSR402's recipe in the recipe section. Thoughts?:

Recipe: American Citrus Weizen
Brewer: Roaring Bull Brewery
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 14.3 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
0.40 oz Northern Brewer [11.40%] (60 min) Hops 12.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40%] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
4.00 peels Orange and Lemon Zest (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 16.7 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

PS - Still looking for suggestions to use up my X-light DME and some of these other hops.

Well, I was thinking a Redhook ESb but can't find it right now. You don't have the British hops for the traditional, but I was thinking the Redhook was not exactly traditional. I'll keep looking around for it.
Wait just found it! But it uses 2 ounces of Willamette and 2 ounces of Tettnanger. Well, here it is anyway:
6 pounds LME (or equivalent DME)
1 pound DME
1 pound Crystal 60L
1 ounce Willamette 60 minutes
1 ounce Tettnanger 60 minutes
1 ounce Willamette 20 minutes
1 ounce Tettnanger 2 minutes.
Any ale yeast (I used Nottingham)

Or, how about a Fat Tire Clone? Uses NB, Hersbrucker and Willamette hops and a few specialty grains with the DME. Nottingham yeast would be fine. That one's in my signature, I think. I did a great but easy English Brown Ale (with American hops) that would be ok, and the last thought I had was this one. A fake Octoberfest, done as an ale:

Ocktoberfest Ale
6.6 pounds LME (or DME equivalent)
8 ounces crystal 60L
4 ounces crystal 20L
1 ounce Willamette (60 minutes)
1 ounce Hallertau (5 minutes)
Nottingham yeast.

This was actually pretty good and we liked it. I made it last yeast when I couldn't lager, or do AG and it worked for us.

So that's it- the sum total of my ideas. Good luck and welcome back to brewing!

Wow, yooper! Thanks for all the suggestions and time you put into that... I may just brew one of those suggested above. I really would love to use Williamette. It's been a while since I used them! Like I said, I can always pick up more stuff! :)

I'm with you on the sabbatical from brewing. I haven't brewed since May. I guess I'll be at over 5 months I hopefully brew on October.

I suggest you brew something that you like a lot. I'm betting you don't have much home brew around so you will want something you can enjoy every day.:mug:

RichBrewer said:
I'm with you on the sabbatical from brewing. I haven't brewed since May. I guess I'll be at over 5 months I hopefully brew on October.

I suggest you brew something that you like a lot. I'm betting you don't have much home brew around so you will want something you can enjoy every day.:mug:

Hey, you guys- get back in the brewhouse and make some BEER! You are brewers, for crying out loud!

I had another thought- how about Edwort's Haus Pale Ale? I made it and it's great. I'm sure it'd be easy to convert to PM or extract and it uses cascade hops.

Well, I brewed!! I've got an english style bitter sitting in a 6.5g carboy in my fermentation cellar. I ended up picking up more supplies than anticipated at the LHBS so I had everything I needed for this. Also, I have another brewday planned for Wednesday to brew the citrus weizen I discussed in post three or so above; I need to use this wheat dme.

Anyway, here is the recipe I brewed. I was happy to see the LHBS got in John Bull "Marris Otter Liquid Malt Extract". Had never seen this before, but I used a can in the recipe...

BeerSmith said:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: ESB
Brewer: Roaring Bull Brewery
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: Steep/Extract

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 11.3 SRM