Wort Grant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancer

Reaction score
My brew buddy & I currently brew AG in our 15 gal system...use HERMS setup between our MT & another pot/HLT...we also essentially batch sparge & have enjoyed high yields thus far...he has heard about wort grants & wants to implement, I'm not seeing the merits & tend to subscribe to the KISS principle....I could see the point if we were fly sparging, but we abandoned that long ago for time sake & low cost of xtra grain needed to batch sparge...am I missing something here ?

The grant will help ensure that your pump never compacts you grain bed during the circulating mash and has nothing to do with how you sparge. I have compacted the grain bed before (enough to actually collapse my false bottom), and it was a pain in the butt to get things flowing again. A grant would have prevented this.... or a little more common sense on my part would have prevented it, too.

I think the grant has its benefits, but I'd rather not use one because I don't want to mess with trying to match the flow into and out of the grant.

I think a wort grant would stop some problems such as you could tell if the grain had stopped up the pick up tube and made you wonder why the pump was not pumping!

Latest posts

Back