The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Pappers. The slightly better team won, even though the goals were not great. The pen was correct, but soft. The FA needs to get a grip on the ref's discretion. So many times shirt pulling is ignored except for the big teams!

I just hope that somehow we can continue to stay near the top and hope for a miracle and finish in the top four. It ain't gonna happen, but I can hope!! :D

Notice how I never mentioned the sudden rush of blood to our keeper's head for the first goal? WTF!!! LOL

BorucError.gif

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
Congrats, Pappers. The slightly better team won, even though the goals were not great. The pen was correct, but soft. The FA needs to get a grip on the ref's discretion. So many times shirt pulling is ignored except for the big teams! I just hope that somehow we can continue to stay near the top and hope for a miracle and finish in the top four. It ain't gonna happen, but I can hope!! :D Notice how I never mentioned the sudden rush of blood to our keeper's head for the first goal? WTF!!! LOL

I've never seen a goal like that! The Saints keeper thought he would beat a forward with his feet - wow.

Agree with you on the PK, too.

Spurs looked miserable. Down to 9th on the table. Has to be an unacceptable start for them. They've only scored 9 goals all year. That's the same number as Suarez and Sturridge and less than Aguero. That's embarrassing from a team who was tied for 5th in the league in scoring last year now has as many goals as teams like Hull, Cardiff and West Ham.

Artur Boruc's masterful dribbling skill over the weekend inspired me to create THIS!

What on earth was he thinking? Even as an Arsenal fan I still yelled "What the hell are you doing??!?!" at the TV....

This is a brutal group but there is hope! Beat Ghana (absolutely have to win that one), draw with Portugal and hope Germany beats them both. Going into the last game Germany would have 6pts, USA 4pts, Portugal 1pt and Ghana 0pt. A draw between Portugal and Ghana means we advance. A draw against Germany means we advance. It will not be easy but it can be done!

This actually doesn't seem so scary. We need revenge against Ghana and Portugal really isn't that awesome (in qualifiers lost to N. Ireland and drew twice with Israel). Germany, on the other hand, is scary.

It feels like Christmas with Man U losing to New Castle at Old Trafford. What a great year

Heads up to anyone into the EPL. There is an add on for firefox and Chrome called Hola. That allows you to watch BBC iplayer....therefore you get to watch Match of the Day, which is the gold standard of English footy from the Brit perspective.

I'm not saying it's great, I'm just saying it's the footy equivalent of drinking a pint of bitter in an English pub as far as watching footy is concerned. ;)

I usually watch it on football orgin.
Funny thing is, we (in the US) consider it a great program, while the brits constantly talk about how MOTD has gone downhill.

Taylor Twellmen and Alexi Lalas are both reporting Michael Bradley is heading to Toronto FC. I have seen an unconfirmed €7 million transfer fee as well. This would be crazy and I think a bad move for Bradley. He has yet to peak and should get better in Europe and could find his way to a CL team. I don't think we will see that improvement in MLS despite the rise in quality.

Taylor Twellmen and Alexi Lalas are both reporting Michael Bradley is heading to Toronto FC. I have seen an unconfirmed €7 million transfer fee as well. This would be crazy and I think a bad move for Bradley. He has yet to peak and should get better in Europe and could find his way to a CL team. I don't think we will see that improvement in MLS despite the rise in quality.

Michael Bradley and Jermaine Defoe?
wow.

From a MLS perspective it is good for the league. From a USMNT perspective I'd rather have him in Europe.

Eh, Michael Bradley will be Michael Bradley no matter where he goes. He's too good... he'll only raise the bar for TFC. A lot of people say things like, "Oh, X is so good he deserves to be in Europe" or worse that "he won't succeed unless he's in Europe." Ideas like that are going to hold the quality of MLS back. The league is spreading around the country and fast and we need the homegrown talent to keep the level of play up. And, IMMHO, a strong domestic league full of domestic players will be good for the Nats. I mean, just look at England. They are terrible on the international level (or, at the very least, not as good as they should be) and the Premiere League I believe has the most foreign players of any league.

However, wasn't there a report last week of Bradley re-signing with Roma?

And I'm still not sure the Defoe pickup has gone through yet... but I may have missed some info, still being out of town for work.

I made a similar point when the Dempsey transfer happened.
Its not that Bradley is going to loose his god given talent. Its that his sharpness on the ball and quick decision making skills will likely either diminish or not continue to develop. Toronto has consistently been one of the worst teams in the league. That means, in the run up to the WC, he will be training with a group of relatively poor players & coaching staff, when compared to the training he would have participated in it Italy it seems a no brainer to me how this affects the USMNT.

That being said, I believe Roma was paying him around $1m per year, and the TFC deal is rumored to be around 6.5m a year, so I can understand why he would want to make the move.

I'm not against the MLS. I'd love to have a top tier league in the US. But I hate these baby steps that Garber wants to take to get it there, and I hate the fact that they continue to alienate the Southeast (Please don't bring up Florida). I can understand why people who live in or around a city with an MLS team supports them and the league, but at this rate of progress, I'll be in a nursing home by the time I'm given reason to care.

I disagree with the England/EPL comparision. Yes most of the best teams play international players for a majority of minutes, but very, very few English player look abroad to play in a better side so they get stuck in mid table teams of ride the bench at a bigger club.

Americans and MLS don't have that problem. The best American players are riding the bench here at home. And I love MLS and I think it's important to keep more American players in the league, just not the very best American players in their prime years. MLS is a second tier league and that is not an insult, it has come a hell of a long ways and it is a great place to be for non-national team level players and squad/role players like a Beckerman. But playing in MLS and the CCL is not the same as playing at a top league in Europe. Mostly it's the coaching and skill development that is greater over there.

I loved the Clint move. He was as good as he was going to be and why go back to a team like Fulham( no disrespect) when you can come home and play for a team that can have a shot to win something. Plus his skills are not going to go down playing MLS.

Mikey is different. He has yet to hit his best, and I dot think we will see that improvement in MLS so the National team will miss out on its best possible Bradley. And I think he could still cut at a high level in Europe with a UCL type of team in Germany or a very good team in EPL or Italy.

It's very good for MLS but I think it's not a good think for the National team. Just my 2¢

I'm beginning to think Wenger is a troll.

A weak United side at home... I'll just leave Podolski on the bench the whole game. It's not like we needed to score or anything.

The president of our supporters group was interviewed today by MLS Extra Time Radio and we don't even have an MLS team. So I figure that if they Re going to talk to the president of a supporters in a city with no team then we must be getting a team soon!

The president of our supporters group was interviewed today by MLS Extra Time Radio and we don't even have an MLS team. So I figure that if they Re going to talk to the president of a supporters in a city with no team then we must be getting a team soon!
Yeah, Atlanta has been under consideration for a while now. I'd love to see more MLS representation in the SE and going from zero to (potentially) three in one year would be huge.

Another year to watch Seattle toy with me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I started two MLS Fantasy leagues this year, one Classic and one Head-to-Head. With the new rules implemented this year, Fantasy should be really fun.

I propose that if we can get a decent number of people in a league, we should actually play for something. Maybe winner gets a bottle of homebrew from the losers. Or maybe brewing gift cards, etc. Just a thought.

Go to fantasy.mlssoccer.com and make a team. Then choose "Leagues" and choose to join a private league. Then enter the codes below:

HBT Classic: 2212-2232
HBT Head-to-Head: 2212-2233

Best goal of the preseason (though there were some other really impressive ones. Check them out here)

Claudio Bieler with an unreal volley.
UnRO7U9.gif

And the season starts in five days! WOOOOOOOO

Back