How much freezer space for 3 lbs of leaf hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
I just ordered 3 lbs of leaf hops from Hopsdirect.com. This is my first time ordering my hops in bulk, I can no longer justify $4 an ounce at my LBHS when I can $10 a lbs from hopsdirect.

I guess I didn't really think this one through though, I'm not sure how much freezer space I'm going to need for this. SWMBO will not be happy if our freezer is totally full with hops (we only have the standard freezer over top of our fridge, and it's quite full to begin with).

Anyone know how much space a pound of hops takes up?

Thanks,

Three pounds as shipped will take up 1/3 of the freezer on a normal size fridge on bottom freezer on top. If you vacuum seal them you can cut that down by 1/2 -2/3

I have five or six pounds of hops in a "regular" top freezer. It's pretty full, but I could probably jam in some more hops if I had to.

They come in fairly small packages, though. I couldn't tell you the exact dimensions, but not as big as you'd think. They are vacuum sealed in bags about the same size as a four slice toaster.

The reason mine take up so much room is because I opened them and then used a food saver to repackage into 1 and 2 ounce packages.

If you want to, you could freeze the entire bag and pull them out and use as needed, as long as you had a way to reseal it or at least close it tightly. Maybe that would take up less room.

Thanks for the responses guys. I just called in and changed 2 of the varieties that I ordered to pellet, I assume they'll take less room. So I'll have a pound of leaf and 2 pounds of pellet, I we should have plenty of room for that.

Pellet takes up way less space. I would say roughly 1/2 the amount of space as leaf hops. With a vacuum sealer, I can fit a full pound of pellet hops into a quart sized food storage bag.

One pound of pellets fit perfectly in one quart wide mouth mason jars! Vacuum seal, reopen as needed, and small footprint.

:mug:

Back