Centennial Blonde, wait for CFC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Reaction score
I plan on building a counterflow chiller. I do not personally own a torch, but I have several friends who would let me borrow theirs. Organizing a torch party might take a bit of time. However, I am anxious to get my planned batch of BM's centennial blonde going (extract version). For a 5 gallon batch, would icewater-in-sink-chilling give too crappy of a cold break for such a light beer? How small can I make the boil to improve the chilling time? This is intended to be a beer which will introduce my miller light quaffing friends to homebrew -- it ought to be clean and clear.

I dump the cold break right into the primary often. As long as you don't get it agitated prior to racking, or let it sit for a day wherever your racking station may be, you'll still get a nice clean/clear brew. If you want to be extra sure go with a brightening stage and chuck in some insinglass.

For quick chilling I'd recommend sanitizing two 1 gallon juice/milk jugs and filling/freezing them. When they hit your 3 gallonish boil you'll get down to pitching temp very fast. I don't use my chiller unless I do a full boil.

Back