Questions on head-retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezeblade

Reaction score
I'm mainly a cider/mead guy, but I really want to try a braggot version of a saison beer. The idea is great, but presents some problems that I don't quite know how to deal with, being a n00b in the beer brewing spectrum. In order to be defined as a braggot, I've read that 50% or more of the fermentables need to come from honey, this leads to the problem of head retention or even having a head at all. so the problem is how to face this challenge in building a recepie, use wheat? perhaps some unmalted barley? what would I do for the psuto-mini mash? the goal is to get as much head and head retention as possible but only getting 50% of the fermentables not from honey. I'm quite lost on this, anyone up for a stab at it?

Add in some cara-foam. Works great for head retention. I use it in some of my brews that I absolutely want a nice frothy head on. I used in in conjunction with wheat in a beer and the heat resembled guinness but a little thinner.

So have a mini-mash of cara-foam and some malted wheat with some 2-row? about 20%-10%-20% and the other 50% fermentables of honey? that sound about right?

Back