vienna vs german vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
So, I was at the LHBS looking for some stuff for my next beer. I want to use Vienna as my base malt, which I've done before, but I've always used German Vienna. I saw this time that they have both Vienna and german Vienna. Is there a huge difference? The Vienna is a bit cheaper, which is the only reason I'm asking. German Vienna is one of my favorite ingredients, and I don't want to lose anything by using the non-german variety. I'm also curious about if there's a difference in diastatic power. Does anyone know if there's a major difference? I plugged it into the search, but didn't find anything.

The grain marked straight "Vienna" is probably a domestic malter (Briess most likely). I've gotten a little bit and stick to buying the continental versions (Belgian or German) for a better (IMHO) flavor.

if you are trying to make a true to style german beer or using a large amount of vienna, i'd try to go with the german kind. But for a pound here in there in a recipe, I personally cant get much difference

Yeah, I was planning on using it for the largest part of the grain bill. I'll just stick to with the german. Thanks for the advice. I'm really excited about my next recipe. I'd hate to miss my mark just to save a couple bucks.

Latest posts

Back