carbination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you bottled your beer after having added the priming sugar, you must leave the bottles in a 70°F room for a few weeks to carbonate. Before drinking, put them in the fridge for a couple of days for the co2 to dissolve then drink. Then you'll know.

The other way to know is to keep opening the bottles to check as they carbonate but then they'll never carbonate. Alas, it is a thing of patience.

B

One tip that I saw was you bottle everything and then the last bit you put in a plastic bottle. Add your priming sugar and squeeze some air out. Then you can tell about how much it has carbonated by how firm the bottle is. I don't like using plastic bottles for brewing but it is a a good indicator.
BBS

+1 Birvine
I usually do a check of one bottle per week until I see the carbonation levels I am looking for; of course, the best thing to do is at least hold off at least two weeks before popping open the first one.
You can also look at the bottom of the bottle to see if you see any sediment; that should give you an indication that your yeast came out of "hibernation" and ate up the priming sugar.

Bottle conditioning is tough at first, and more art than science. Plenty of chemistry going on sure, but just as with all homebrewing the best thing you can do is experiment and get advisecfrom other more experienced brewers. Once you have a few brews under your belt, youll be able to have more confidense to know whats happening in the bottles. The trick is getting the basics down ( time, temp, yeast amount/type, sugar, etc...), maintaining consistency in your brewing proceedures, and then from there u make minor adjustments.

Or you could move to kegging your beer, which in my opinion is much more fun and a lot faster and easier...

Just give one of the bottles a little shake - you'll see bubbles in the neck of the bottle. Yeast are very good at one they do, if only we were as good at being patient :)

I've found through experience that I need to let them condition for 4 or 5 weeks on average to get good carbonation & conditioning. Some dark beers or higher gravity ones take longer. My whiskely ale took 9 weeks & 6 days to condition. Then 2 weeks in the fridge for decent head & carbonation.

I've found through experience that I need to let them condition for 4 or 5 weeks on average to get good carbonation & conditioning. Some dark beers or higher gravity ones take longer. My whiskely ale took 9 weeks & 6 days to condition. Then 2 weeks in the fridge for decent head & carbonation.

i totally agree. i know most beers with be carbed in 3-4 weeks (high grav beers excluded), but i find the majority of my bottled beers really start to come around about week 5 or so.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

Give it three weeks at 70 degrees, take 2 bottles, one from each bottle box or not near each other. Chill them for at least 48 hours and drink them...if both are carbed and taste good more than likely they're ready. If only one is ready, that means the bottles aren't quite there yet, and the one that was carbed was a tad warmer than the other. Wait another week or two and try again.

Yeah,me too. Even my APA & IPA are best around 5 weeks. I put some more of my Burton ale & her summer shandy in the fridge last Saturday. It'll be interesting to see if the Burton ale is more evenly carbed at that point. And thus better flavor as I intended it to be.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

Give it three weeks at 70 degrees, take 2 bottles, one from each bottle box or not near each other. Chill them for at least 48 hours and drink them...if both are carbed and taste good more than likely they're ready. If only one is ready, that means the bottles aren't quite there yet, and the one that was carbed was a tad warmer than the other. Wait another week or two and try again.

i was waiting for this one!! thought we lost ya for a couple days there, revvy! :mug:

OP, ^this^ is probably the best explanation of conditioning time you'll see... unless revvy pulls out lazy llama's chart explaining the process, that is. :ban:
time is your friend when it comes to most things brewing.

Latest posts

Back