Anyone ever experiment with Cilantro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Since coriander seed is the seed from the cilantro plant, I thought maybe someone out there had tried to pitch a handful into a wit beer or the like.

I'm thinking the bite of some cilantro along with the citrus of orange might be nice.

Of course...I wore earth shoes in the 70's too. :(

cilantro is extremely overpowering so be careful if you do. I have a tendency to overdo it alot everytime I make salsa

I love cilantro i all my food, but I just don't see the flavor going well with a wit or weizen, sometimes it can have a slight soapy taste too. I just don't see it going with orange either, but hell, give it a shot and let me know. My brew partner wants to make a Meat Porter with steak drippings, I am trying very hard to convince him not to.

Oh, and it seems like cilantro is a really polarized herb, people either love it or hate it.

Make sure its well cleaned. It doesnt sound that nice to me but let us know how it is. I guess you could just put some into glass of something simular and see how that tastes.

Cilantro's very aromatic; if you want to experiment, maybe separate out a gallon or so of your next pale ale and dry hop on some. I'd make sure to clean the cilantro extramely well, I'd probably steam it to sterlize. Doesn't sound good to me, but it's interesting at least.

Cilantro beer doesn't sound very good to me, either, but here's a cooking trick for cilantro.

Anytime you want to extract flavor from long cooking/contact, use the roots (if you can get them) and stems, not the leaves.

(This is a great trick for southwestern soups and sauces.)

The leaves "decompose" quickly in liquid and impart an unpleasant, soapy flavor as others have mentioned.

Cilantro root is a key ingrediant in Thai green curry paste. If you don't grow your own, you might be able to get bunches with roots intact in an Asian grocery store.

Okee Dokee. The voice of reason will prevail. :eek:

Maybe I'll mash a few leaves in the bottom of my glass of pale and leave it at that.

Thanks for stopping me from a $30 error in judgement. :mug:

There are a few recipes for meat beers around, scrumpy comes to mind as well as cock ale. Both use uncooked meat.

I have never tried it, always bring it up as a joke, but I do know a couple people who have. They said it tastes like you would expect, awfull. Apparently you can't use the fermenter again either, the taste just never goes away.

Vermicous said:
There are a few recipes for meat beers around, scrumpy comes to mind as well as cock ale. Both use uncooked meat.

I have never tried it, always bring it up as a joke, but I do know a couple people who have. They said it tastes like you would expect, awfull. Apparently you can't use the fermenter again either, the taste just never goes away.

May be uncooked but once it's boiled it's sterilized, and i suppose it would be cooked...

Cilantro would be interesting to say the least... I'd take the idea of using stems and roots.

Anyone ever try leeks? well i guess you wouldn't want to you can get like flavors from Anise and Licorice.

I just threw a few sprigs of Cilantro i grew in my garden into a light scottish ale and it tastes amazing. i think i will brew a corona style lager with some lime extract in the secondary and some cilantro, late in the boil.

Back