Delay in transfer from mash to boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I am planning to brew this Saturday but I am going to be out of the house for a couple hours in the AM. So I was planning to do my mash early in the morning, then let it sit in the boil kettle covered while I am out, then do my boil when I get back. At most it will be sitting in the kettle for 3 hours before the boil. Anyone see any problems that I could run into with this plan?

Not sure since you are moving it from the grain. But you don't want to let the extract get below 140 because thats where bacteria "can" form. I personally dont have any experience letting it sit, however, it might become an issue.

I don't think you need to be worried about any bacteria, the boil will take care of that. If your system lets you do a mashout to stop conversion I think you'd be fine. Not speaking from experience here though.

I don't think you need to be worried about any bacteria, the boil will take care of that. If your system lets you do a mashout to stop conversion I think you'd be fine. Not speaking from experience here though.

I actually do partial mash using the stovetop kettle method. Mash using a mesh bag in one kettle then batch sparge by placing the mesh bag into 170 deg. water in the boil kettle. I plan to dump the "first runnings" from the mash kettle into the boil/sparge kettle then put the lid on it until I can get back and start my boil.

Latest posts

Back