Food grade caulk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Are there any caulks that can be in contact with wort? Like a food grade silicon or something?

Thanks!

I knew it existed, hence why I mentioned it. :D

My question was if you could put it in wort without any ill effects? I will take the first response and say no, Im not going into detail as why I want to know this. :ban:

I knew it existed, hence why I mentioned it. :D

My question was if you could put it in wort without any ill effects? I will take the first response and say no, Im not going into detail as why I want to know this. :ban:

meaning you don't want to tell us how bad you messed up your mash tun to cause the leak?

My question was if you could put it in wort without any ill effects? I will take the first response and say no, Im not going into detail as why I want to know this.

This post is getting weird. You have a question about caulk but don't want to talk about it then you put in the dancing banana:ban:

again
I wouldn't put caulk in my beer but to each his own

You can caulk a leaky crack, but you should never...

Nevermind.

Most 100% silicone caulk is food safe. Avoid anything with mold/mildew inhibitors. Since it's going INTO the kettle/tun, I'd go with something that's actually marked food grade. I think McMaster has some food grade sealants.

I believe DAP silicone after 24hrs cure time is. Check on the tube it does say.

Without having researched it... the "Food-Grade" status may only apply to the caulk AFTER it dries. There are solvents in all silicone caulk that evaporate out so it turns from a liquid to a "solid". I wouldn't put undried caulk in wort!:cross:

You will need to know a few things before you go shopping for Food Grade Silicone.
Is it just for wort, or will it be exposed to alcohol and CO2?
What is the temperature range it will be used in?
I assume at some point you will want to clean it, so you will need to know what types of cleaners you will use, and will they change the silicone?
Once you find all that, you will need to know strong you need it to be, and how much flexibly you need. I did a lot of reading and tested a lot of silicone before I found the right one to make Keg Pasties. Now that I have a good silicone, I am having problems molding the parts so they look good. And food grade silicone is expensive, I will have to mass produce my part before I can get the price down.

Good Luck to you.

Ok I will go ahead and explain since you guys are going to assume I am doing something very weird with it. I just put together a conical out of SS and had the bottom plate with ball valve attached. It was only welded on the outside, leaving a small lip area from the inside that crap can seep into and get stuck. So I had the welder put weld on the inside. Well he did that then filled it with water, a very tiny leak showed up on the outside. Yes past the inside bead and outside bead. So to correct it he ground down the outside and re-welded it which sealed it. BUT obviously the water got in through his inside bead, so now I got this inside bead with a microscopic hole somewhere and its got a chamber between it and the sealed outside weld. Anyways he swears its fixed, but I have this feeling it couldn't be, yes it doesnt actually leak anymore but I would think the inside area still is filling up this cavity.

SO.... that brings me to the caulk. I was going to seal around the weld inside area just to be safe, for a piece of mind. But was worried it would cause my wort to taste funny.

To answer the other question, this is going to be my primary / secondary fermenter. You guys know how those work, so minor pressure, ambient temps for the most part.

:ban:

SO.... that brings me to the caulk. I was going to seal around the weld inside area just to be safe, for a piece of mind. But was worried it would cause my wort to taste funny.

To answer the other question, this is going to be my primary / secondary fermenter. You guys know how those work, so minor pressure, ambient temps for the most part.

:ban:

Personally, I would just find someone else to re-weld the inside bead thus negating the need for sealant which will require maintenance over time.

I guess I wouldn't be to worried about a small hole. I know that all the books say bacteria could hide in crevices but if you pump in boiling water and drain it right before sanitizing it with star san you'll be fine.

How hard is it to pick up welding? And what type of welder is used to weld SS and angle iron etc? Is there one type that is more versitile then the other?

Well, I guess this guy proves that eating it won't won't kill you ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard is it to pick up welding? And what type of welder is used to weld SS and angle iron etc? Is there one type that is more versitile then the other?

How much did the welder charge you for his time... that is how hard it is to get to a stage where you would be called a good welder. Picking it up is not that hard. For thin gauge SS you would want to go TIG, a cheaper TIG set should do what a hobbiest needs, if you get into welding alluminium you will need a more expensive welder.
As far as angle iron, I have always used that term to mean the same as equal/unequal angle not for that it is made of iron. I have been told welding iron is a b***h :D

If you have a leaking fermentor bucket i would use this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XP5HO6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I would put it on the outside of the bucket (this will limit prolonged contact with the wort) and wait until it is fully cured before putting wort in. This may work for a wail but after a few uses you may get bacteria forming in the crack and will need to replace bucket.
Don't forget good sanitation is key.
Hope this works and cheers my friend.:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back