Differences in nitrogen and c02/nitrogen mix in stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
So i am looking into getting a nitro setup since i brew mostly stouts.
i have a read a lot of info about nitro tanks and nitro regulators and beer gas.

if you are using a nitrogen tank do you put beer gas in it or just straight nitrogen and if so what are the differences in the final result

I carb my stouts at 8 psi on CO2 for 1-2 weeks then dispense with a 70% N2 and 30%CO2 as I blend my own. N2 alone will leave your beer flat,and strait beer gas doesn't have enough CO2 to properly carb.

I just asked my bartender at the place in Boston that pours the best pint of Guinness you can get. They use separate CO2 and Nitrogen tanks, not beer gas. That's how I plan to do it once I have a large house and build my keg rig.

I carb my stouts at 8 psi on CO2 for 1-2 weeks then dispense with a 70% N2 and 30%CO2 as I blend my own. N2 alone will leave your beer flat,and strait beer gas doesn't have enough CO2 to properly carb.

I do the the same. My supplier does a75/25 mix. After putting it on beergas, serve at 35 lbs.

Back