Oatmeal coffee milk stout- critiques please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremydgreat

Reaction score
Hey all! I was hoping to get some feedback on my recipe for an over-the-top oatmeal coffee milk stout. My goal here is to make a sweet, chewy, smooth coffee stout. I have a high mash temp, lots of oats, some carapils for added chewiness, and a full pound of lactose. If I had a nitro setup, I'd probably serve with nitro. But I don't.

Think cappuccino!

---

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/39568/oatmeal-coffee-milk-stout

Title: Oatmeal Coffee Milk Stout

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.027
ABV (standard): 6.11%
IBU (tinseth): 33.61
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (61%)
1.5 lb - Flaked Oats (10.2%)
1.25 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 150L (8.5%)
1 lb - American - Chocolate (6.8%)
1 lb - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (6.8%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.4%)
0.5 lb - American - Roasted Barley (3.4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Bullion for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 7.5, IBU: 18.87)
1 oz - Fuggles for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 14.73)

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 160 F, Time: 60 min
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 30 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
Cold-brewed coffee (Secondary)

YEAST:
White Labs - British Ale Yeast WLP005

PICTURE:
Cappuccino_at_Lund.jpg

I would be worried about this being too sweet. I did a milk stout following some of the same ideas you posted and it was just too sweet. I would cut the c120 in half, dump the carapils and mash at 156. Another possible idea is to add a bit of vanilla extract with the coffee to up the creamy flavor. Good luck and keep us updated!

ahurd110 said:
I would be worried about this being too sweet. I did a milk stout following some of the same ideas you posted and it was just too sweet. I would cut the c120 in half, dump the carapils and mash at 156. Another possible idea is to add a bit of vanilla extract with the coffee to up the creamy flavor. Good luck and keep us updated!

+1

Though, if you want over-the-top, you have it.

I don't think C-150 is going to give you the flavors you want. Assuming you want broadly sweet and not burnt raisin sweet, I'd switch to something in the range of C-60. Otherwise, I think you have what you're going for.

Okay, taking this all in.

What about that yeast? Traditionally, a British Ale Yeast would work well for a stout. When I was at Whitelabs' tasting room, I noted that the British Ale Yeast was much fruitier than the usual California Ale (WLP001) yeast.

Do you think a "clean burning" ale yeast like WLP001 is better for this? The British Ale Yeast is also higher flocculating, but on something as dark as this, I guess I don't really care.

Vanilla bean is a great idea. I'll also consider lowering the mash temp.

Curious about the suggestion to cut the c120 in half. What is your thinking/reasoning behind that suggestion? Would that reduce sweetness?

jeremydgreat said:

Curious about the suggestion to cut the c120 in half. What is your thinking/reasoning behind that suggestion? Would that reduce sweetness?

Not to speak for kingwood, but in a way, yes. Basically, the crystal malts don't just vary in color from light to dark, but also in flavor, with the lighter ones more sugary-caramelly and the darker ones more dark, dried fruit (raisins, prunes,dates, figs, etc). The darker ones can also add a bit of burnt flavor...not like the roasted dark malts, but something more subtle. Maybe burnt isn't quite the right word...but not sure what else to use.

As others have stated, C120 to me adds a figgy, deep sweetness, like a heavy caramel. In a coffee/cappuccino stout this may not be a great flavor to have in heavy doses, though in smaller amounts it could help with the overall richness. It was a good idea earlier to maybe do a blend of crystals, such as .25 C120 and .5 C80 or something.

Another idea to consider is replacing the roasted barely with black barley. It is still a 500L roasted malt but comes across a little smoother with a coffee-type flavor and less roasty astringency

1 lb of lactose seems a bit high to me; I'd stick with 0.5 lb.

I like the black barley suggestion.

First batch tasted good. This is a solid starting point.

Thoughts:

- Sugar is a little heavy handed. Going to reduce to .8lb lactose.
- More oats for creaminess and mouthfeel.
- More carapils. Since carapils is a type of crystal and I'm trying to reduce sweetness a bit, I ditched the 1lb C60.
- Increased the rice hulls a bit to help with mashing the oats.

Revisions:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/39568/oatmeal-coffee-milk-stout-v2

Latest posts

Back