Need corona grain mill tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikeirons

Reaction score
I'm going to start trying BIAB and I am going to be using a corona/Victoria mill.
Does anyone have any tips about the crush I need? Being I did all extract in the past I'm new to crushing grains I want to try and gain as much knowledge as I can before I start.

And if I don't hit expected gravity could I add DME to get it up to gravity or would that alter finished taste? Or should I just keep it as is?

Thanks

I've never done BIAB, but I highly recommend conditioning the grain before running through a Corona style mill. A quick search here should turn up a few threads.

Tighten it down till when you turn the handle is sounds REALLLLLLLLYYYYY bad, then back off 2-3 turns. That is the highly scientific highly accurate way I set mine up on the advice of a member here. I have not grain conditioned but I can see it being a good idea. There should be no uncracked grains that is key.

If you have not read the ugly junk corona mill thread, this is the time to do it. It contains a good bit of usable info and adbice on set up, adjustment and improving the result. I read it a couple of times before I built my milling set up and in my opinion I saved a good bit of time and greif by avoiding some of the early pitfalls of the basic machine. Once you have read that thread you will have a pretty good idea of exactly how you want to proceed and what you want to build. Hope this helps and dont forget the pics of your finished set up.

Wheelchair Bob

Started reading that ugly corona mill thread.
Wow is that long. Lol.
Reading about people putting washers/spacers on the mill. I see where they are putting them just not sure why. Ill keep reading that thread.

Thanks

Yes, the ugly junk thread is very long, while lots of good info, don't asse you need to do what has worked for others. These mills are built poorly so what might be a good tweak for one might not apply to another. I would suggest running some grain through and adjust as required for a decent crush.

I would recommend gaping the mill with some washers to get a proper crush. I forget what the recommended gap is but you want to be careful to not shred your husks to much.

Latest posts

Back