Replacing Dextrose With Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralelen

Reaction score
The new issue of BYO has an American Barleywine recipe I would like to try. In the all-grain version, it calls for 14.1oz of dextrose (corn sugar). If I was to replace the sugar with a dry malt extract, what would the conversion rate be? Would I have to up the IBUs in order to compensate?

First question would be why would you want to replace the dextrose with DME? The recipe is calling for dextrose for a very specific reason, and going with DME instead would tend to ignore that reason.

What they're trying to do is add some simple sugar to try to dry out the beer just a little bit, since there is such a large grain bill and such a large amount of fermentables there - basically, try to keep the beer from having "too much" body. The dextrose is meant to help balance the large grain bill, and replacing it with DME would negate that balance.

Are you really sure you want to make this substitution?

Fully agree with the above poster. Is there a reason you want to replace the dextrose with DME, or is it simply because you don't have dextrose?

Agree with both posters above, but if you really want to make the subscription to add more sweetness and body to the beer use 84% of the corn sugar as dme. DME pppg=44, corn sugar pppg=37. 37/44=84%

Can you post the recipe? The sugar might be there to get the alchohol up but keep the grain bill easier to handle.

Back