Sucking Airlock: Anything I can do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trokair

Reaction score
So I have my first batch of homebrew sitting in a glass 6.5 gallon carboy. Wake up this morning and notice that there is almost no vodka left so I top it back up. 15 minutes later, same thing. Is there anything I can do to get the airlock to stop sucking the vodka into the carboy? At this rate I'm going to have one high ABV beer.

Im a beginner as well but it sounds like a leak to me. Perhaps you need a new airlock.

How long has your beer been fermenting? Especially early on, your airlock should only ever have output.

Perhaps someone with a little more experience can give some more insight.

It is a three piece airlock that has been on the fermentor for less than 24 hours. It isn't a leak because I can watch the vodka get sucked up and go down the tube if I watch it. I read somewhere that it is because the temp inside the fermenter is higher then the ambient and as it cools the air contracts which creates a vacum. Just wondering if I should be doing anything other than constantly filling the airlock.

It will stop. I'm guessing that the wort was warm still when you put the airlock on and you are storing it in a cooler place. The temp change is causing the pressure to drop in the carboy and suck. It will eventually even out, but I would pull the stopper out real quick and put it back in.

I read somewhere that it is because the temp inside the fermenter is higher then the ambient and as it cools the air contracts which creates a vacum.

This is correct. It shouldn't take long for the temps to stabilize, and the yeast to start throwing off enough CO2 for the airlock to start "bubbling". How long has it been, and what temperature did you pitch your yeast at?

Its been 20 hours since I pitched and the temp was 77. Ambient is 68. Carboy temp is currently 71.8.

Its been 20 hours since I pitched and the temp was 77. Ambient is 68. Carboy temp is currently 71.8.

Yea that's the problem then. Next time, pitch the yeast cooler. It's always better to pitch too cool, than too warm.

I like to start out on the low end of the yeast, or slightly less, and let the temperature slowly rise to target temp as activity increases. You'll find many brewers on this forum do the same. This helps promote an active, healthy ferment rather than having the yeast sense a decrease in temperature, possibly thinking it's time to go to sleep.

What kind of yeast are you using?

Yea that's the problem then. Next time, pitch the yeast much cooler. It's always better to pitch too cool than too warm.

I like to start out below my target temp and let the temperature slowly rise as activity increases. This helps promote an active, healthy ferment rather than having the yeast sense a decrease in temperature and possibly think it's time to go to sleep.

That makes sence. The directions that came with the kit actually say to cool the wort to 80 then add "cool water" and pitch the yeast so that is basically what I did. Next time I'll aim for ambient temperature before pitching. Thanks.

Also my SG was .001 off so the vodka should make up for that at least :D

Edit: Yeast is White Labs WLP500 Tappist Ale.

Edit #2: The temp has settled in around 71 and the vacum is gone. Starting to get bubbles and foam forming at the top of the wort! Now the hard part, waiting.

Latest posts

Back