Carbonating in wine bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyth

Reaction score
So I'm going to be bottling a batch of apfelwien tomorrow, this will be my first time bottling anything but beer, and def my first time using anything other then my beer bottles.

So I had some friends save me a crap ton of their wine bottles, got a bag of corks etc etc, but then it dawned on me, can wine bottles and corks even handle bottle carbing?

So should I be fine here, or am I just making some bombs?

corks wont hold back much pressure. most likely they will pop out before the bottles break.

Yeah, wine bottles are a no-go. The corks will pop, and you'd really WANT the corks to pop because the glass isn't designed to hold pressure.

With that said, a lot of people enjoy their apfelwein still (non-carbed). You could always make this batch still (using the wine bottles) and see how you like it (assuming you don't have any extra beer bottles kicking around).

Wine bottles are meant to hold still drinks...If you weren't carbing your apfelwein, it'd be fine. The co2 won't be contained by the wine corks, that's why they use cage and corks for champagne.

Wine bottles are meant to hold still drinks...If you weren't carbing your apfelwein, it'd be fine. The co2 won't be contained by the wine corks, that's why they use cage and corks for champagne.

+1, Even if you hold the cork on, I would be afraid the wine bottle would break under the pressure.

Champagne is really carbonated, but the thickness of the bottle is substantial compared to the standard wine bottle.

I can attest to wine corks pushing themselves out simply by not degassing a wine thoroughly, let alone trying to carb it to average CO2 volumes.

that's why champagne bottles are thicker, the corks are different and held with a wire cage.

Latest posts

Back