Adjusting for different base malts using specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So I think I've reached the point in my brewing hobby that I want to buy malt in bulk. The problem is, there's a lot of different styles that I like to make throughout the year, and I don't want to have more than 2 base malts in stock. Is there some sort of chart to indicate specialty grains to adjust for different base malts? For instance, would I add Biscuit malt and American 2-row to approximate Marris Otter? Or maybe add Aromatic to American Pilsner malt to approximate Belgian Pils?

I've never heard of attempting to match a particular malt by blending malts, but I can tell you this.... the difference in the finished product of beer when you use German Pilsner, Belgian Pilsner, or American Pilsner is nil to minimal. Same goes for Candaian or American 2 row. Marris Otter does have its own unique flavor but can be used instead of standard american or canadian 2 row for most every beer that needs "2 row." Since most recipes use 2 row or pilsner as a base malt, I buy a bag of each in bulk. That covers most of my recipes. Now if I have a few extra bucks, I will buy a bag each of: German Pilsner (usually Best Malt), Canadian or American 2-row, Wheat, and Marris Otter.... I find those four cover 95% of all of the beers most would brew.

Back