Convert SS pot to kettle, how to filter hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brock_gonad

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've found an awesome local SS welder who's going to help turn my 82L soup pot into a proper kettle.

My question is on hops filtering options. My goal is to run straight from the kettle into a plate chiller, and then straight into the primary (we have cold groundwater in Vancouver).

I don't want to clog things up. What are my best options if I'm looking for a permanent solution?

Said welder says he has numerous screens he can make false bottoms out of - 1/8" aperatures, up to 3/16" aperatures.

I've also seen bazooka screens, but read that they are not a good fit for pellet hops. Ideally I'd like to be able to use pellet hops or whole hops - straight into the plate chiller.

Thanks!

Use a hop spider... I'm working on one now using a 6" stainless steel cake form (no bottom on it), some threaded (stainless) rod and a mesh bag that's been made to match (you can use one that's long enough, or get one made too).

Or just get hop bags and not worry about it at all. I've been doing that for all but my first two batches with great results. I use pellet hops in the boil, but dry hop (so far) with whole hops.

Thanks for the tips. Regarding building your own hop spider, what are you guys using for bags? I see people using paint screeners, but are those really food safe?

5 gal paint strainer bag and pair of vice grips. Hasn't let me down yet!

There is nothing that can really leech out of the small amount of nylon used to make the bag. I usually rinse a new bag with boiling water before using it the first time. Just make sure to keep the bag off the bottom of the kettle. The bags typically last 5+ brews before I get tired of cleaning it.

:mug:

My tailor/seamstress made one out of the correct mesh fabric... I was there to guide it's design and make sure it will do the job. Now I'm just getting the threaded rod into the ring (I drilled and tapped the ring earlier today, need to get a tap and die set for where I live now to take care of the rod) and secured. I'm using 1/4x20 threaded stainless rod for mine. The ring is stainless steel too (6" diameter, 3" deep). I plan on having two sets of 'legs' for it. That way I can switch it between my Blichmann kettle and keggle (when I get/make a keggle)...

I plan on using mine for the first time (popping it's cherry) this coming weekend.

BTW, I used a drill press to put the holes in the stainless ring. I used it to run the taps through the holes too (made it much easier). Using the taps, I turned the chuck by hand, so that I didn't mess things up.

I'll post up pictures of my hop spider once it's complete...

Hi Guys,

I've found an awesome local SS welder who's going to help turn my 82L soup pot into a proper kettle.

My question is on hops filtering options. My goal is to run straight from the kettle into a plate chiller, and then straight into the primary (we have cold groundwater in Vancouver).

I don't want to clog things up. What are my best options if I'm looking for a permanent solution?

Said welder says he has numerous screens he can make false bottoms out of - 1/8" aperatures, up to 3/16" aperatures.

I've also seen bazooka screens, but read that they are not a good fit for pellet hops. Ideally I'd like to be able to use pellet hops or whole hops - straight into the plate chiller.

Thanks!

I have a Penrose kettle with bazooka screen. My first batch used pellet hops: a bit of a pain, but nothing unmanageable...you just have to keep scraping the screen with your spoon. Second batch used whole hops with absolutely no issues at all. The pellet hop batch left a lot more trub during the ferment, FWIW.

My friend and I use pellet hops and we use a plate chiller and go right to primary. Probably the best solution we've used so far is building a SS fine mesh strainer that fits over the dip tube. I made one using Bobby M's video instructions and it works well for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back