Bottling in a growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk911

Reaction score
I have 3 (64 ounce) growlers and I was wondering if i could transer beer into those from the bottling bucket or is 64 ounces to big to let age in.

It's not that it's too big. It's that growlers, like those from brewpubs designed to hold beer for a few days, aren't designed to hold pressure. They're designed to store beer for a couple of days while drinking- removing the cap and pouring already carbonated beer. Bottle carbing in them can be dangerous. Here's one example: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/what-f-ck-growler-bomb-99981/

It's not a matter of aging, it's more a matter of pressure. Screw-top growlers were not meant to hold the pressure that's created by carbing beer, they were only designed to hold pre-carbed beer for short lengths of time.

If they're swing-top (Grolsh style) you should be fine.

But don't take my word for it, read up on growler bottling threads:
Growler Bomb
Bottle Bomb Worries
and good ol' Search button at work Here

The general summary seems to be that most growlers aren't intended for the pressure of carbing. Some are, and those generally will come labeled as "pressure rated" or will have the swing-top. Either way, bottle at your own risk, and good luck. :mug:

my first thought was that you cant pour a beer with a smooth finish and leave behind the sediment. with a bottle that big you have to keep pouring. thats why i like 16oz bottles....

my first thought was that you cant pour a beer with a smooth finish and leave behind the sediment. with a bottle that big you have to keep pouring. thats why i like 16oz bottles....

You can get real pint bottles? I have 2 and 1/2 cases of really old pints that I use for special beers.

Do you get new ones?

when i brewed my first weissbier, I filled one cheap glass growler and put it in a cooler with a bunch of books on top. obviously i understood the risk when i did it. i let it condition with the rest of my bottles for 3 weeks and busted it out at my family's oktoberfest dinner. it was fine. the consistency was the same as the 12 oz bottles. the sediment did remain at the bottom.

i wouldn't do this again. it just isn't worth it. 2 liter pop bottles are fine. because it was a nice family get together, i was aiming for presentation, i guess. i have 4 "grolsch style" growlers that i may use if i brew something particularly special.

aside...my wife and i have an odd (and expensive) hobby of collecting growlers from pourhouses and brewpubs. it seemed like a good idea at one time. now we have no room for them.

aside...my wife and i have an odd (and expensive) hobby of collecting growlers from pourhouses and brewpubs. it seemed like a good idea at one time. now we have no room for them.
How many do you have? I'm up to 14 unique instances :rockin: adding 15 and 16 this weekend.

Back