made a noob mistake sparging, big deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlg5039

Reaction score
I was brewing the blood orange hefeweizen on Tuesday and made a mistake. I mashed at 152 for 60 minutes, then added about two gallons of boiling water. This raised temps to 175ish, I let it rest for 10 minutes.

After vorlaufing, I lautered off 3 gallons of wort. Then, without thinking, I added two gallons of sparge water THAT WAS BOILING!

I let it sit ten minutes and stirred it, then lautered off the remaining 3.5 gallons.

So, what adverse effects will this have? I meant to sparge with 180 degree water.

Chances are good it will be fine. The worst result would be extraction of tanins that might be evident in the final beer.

I made this error once and did not experience any issues (it was on a pale ale).

Are you batch sparging? Do you usually completely drain the mash tun and then add the next batch of sparge water? or are you Fly sparging and wanting to add continuosly? It sounds almost like you are in the middle of the two, though I may be reading between the lines too much!

I need more coffee...!!!

I didn't completely drain the mashtun when lautering initially. I left about a gallon, but the topic the grain bed was at the surface of the wort.

You dont want to raise your grain bed over 169 degrees while sparging or you risk tannin extraction

If you find this beer to be astringent you could try Polyclar I have had some luck with this

temp is not as much of an issue as water pH in regards to tannin extraction. You don't want a high pH and hot water

Back