Hoff-Stevens Corny Fermentor Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pick

Reaction score
Don't know if many people are familiar with this type of keg. It is an odd ball.
Anyhow, since it is, I thought I would use it to ferment a batch of Apfelwein. After making the batch up and attaching a hose to the CO2 in barb, I waited for fermentation to start. After a day, no bubbles. I popped the lid and saw that it was indeed fermenting, but the keg lid had not sealed. No prob, just hooked up my spare tank and regulator, and gave it a 30# burst, and she sealed. Hours later still no bubbles. Hmmmm. Pulling the ring on top released gas. 15 minutes later, pulling the ring released gas. Upon closer examination of the CO2 in barb I saw that it had a nut on it. I removed it and saw a ball and spring. Looks like a check valve. Great, now what do I do?

Looks like I am carbing and fermenting at the same time. I released the gas this morning after 8 hours and heard a large release of gas from the liquid, then liquid came out of the pop off valve.

I am thinking of releasing the gas tonight after work, then removing check valve and wrapping a bunch of electrical tap around it as an emergency solution to this problem. Then I can take the valve apart or just get a plug to put in its place.

I think the keg is rated at 60 PSI, so I should not have a bomb sitting there, I hope.

Back