What are all these parts for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Japansen

Reaction score
Hi all!

First, brief backstory. Got a job assignment that put me in Africa for a couple years, so I decided to get back into brewing. I'd done some kit brewing almost 20 years ago in college, but after hanging with a friend who does all grain, I bit the bullet, bought a bunch of equipment, a couple kits to start with, and a variety of grains, hops, and yeasts. I finally got delivery of my stuff and am itching to start the first batch, but realized that I've got a couple little parts I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with....

Link to photo

EDIT: I don't know what happened but the original embedded photo was huge. I've changed to a link with the photo on it in a normal size.

I know its kind of small but hopefully you can tell what everything is. 5 and 6 are a pair, I believe, with 5 having two females and 6 having two male ends. 8 and 10 are the same, one stainless, one brass. 7 is bigger and thicker than 12 but essentially the same. 13 is flat and 4 is labeled "lock nut".

The bigger tubing (2) is for pumping the wort into the boiling, I know this. I believe that the little piece of tube (9) is for attaching the bottling syphon to the bottling bucket's valve. Long clear tube (1) is for racking to secondary, I believe. I have tube clamps to put everything together.

(3) intrigues me. It is much smaller than false bottom for my mash tun, but I'm pretty sure I didn't buy the wrong size. I'm guessing its used in the boil pot, with hops? Not quite sure what its function is, but it does have a tube attachment on top. Help needed here.

The real questions are for the red gaskets. I think the ball valve is intended for use as a bleeder on my pump, to ease priming when I'm pumping out of the bottom of the mash tun. My boil pot doesn't have a spigot at the bottom, not a particularly relevant point here, I suppose. I've got a standard March pump and believe that the locking nut, 4, is used to tighten down the connection without the handle ending up in some odd position. The brass nozzle goes on the other end (outflow). 8 fits into 5, which fits on the pump intake, so what is 6 for? What's the best way (pictures?) to put the pump all togehter?

And I still don't know where the flat washer and two red gaskets go. Maybe with the lock nut?

This isn't the easiest question and the picture isn't the easiest to see, but maybe some of y'all can help me figure this out. Thanks.

That picture is so big, I can't even download it and I am on a pretty fast internet connection...

Make is smaller, and I might be able to help :)

Red gaskets look like orings for the valve fitting. Just saw something really similar on FlyGuy's 10 gallon cooler mashtun conversion guide. I believe they sit between the locknuts and the wall of the vessel. Of course, I'm not sure, but that's what it looks like to me. Not sure what that dark washer is, off the top of my head, but I imagine you're night in thinking it's associated with the locknut. It's got to be part of the leakproofing, right?

I've figured it out, for the most part. I'd forgotten that I brought a cooler for mashing as well and most of this is for the conversion kit on the cooler.

1. tube for siphoning

2. most likely a tube that goes from mash tun to kettle?

3. false bottom for the mash tun

6. male to male connector

7. O ring for ball valve

9. probably for the false bottom

11. ball valve

12. ball valve o ring

Just guesses on my part, I'm still doing extract brewing.

go to bargainfittings.com to see theire directions on how to assemble a mash tun bulkhead... I shows all of these parts and the order in which they go together.

There might be 2 parts that are part of the false bottom for the mash tun such as one of the orings and definately that short tube.

The long skinny tube looks like a blow off tube for a fermenter btw.

Back