Cherry Flavoring for Cherry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
I am using cherry extract flavoring for a cherry ale that I am planning on brewing today. I know many people have different techniques on when to add the flavoring but I just wanted to see what everyone says. I am thinking I am going to add it during secondary fermentation but what do you do? Let me know...I know adding it during the boil will burn off most of the flavor.

Secondary, or at bottling. Be aware that everything I've ever read about cherry extract is that it makes your beer taste like cough syrup. Use real cherries in secondary if at all possible.

If you use too much extract, it will taste like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

Go light. Try 2oz of extract at bottling/kegging.

If you are kegging, it is easy to add more, if needed.

I tried cherry extract for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was a 4oz bottle and the instructions said to use the entire bottle for 5 gallons. I didn't trust this so I poured 1 cup of the beer into a measuring glass and started adding drops of extract in with a small pipette. I put 10 drops into the 1 cup of beer, stirred, and it tasted like nasty cough syrup. I decided to use half that amount for the beer I was about to bottle, so I did the math and actually counted out 438 drops that I ended up putting in the beer. I measured the cherry extract prior to dumping in the beer so I would know how much to use next time, and it turned out to be 2tsp for a 5g batch. This does not give a strong cherry flavor - it's subtle, but it does not taste like cough syrup.

FYI - 2 tsp barely makes a dent in a 4oz bottle - I could probably use the entire bottle for 20 batches.

Back