Sustaining elevated temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinsu

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian inspired ale with Wyest 1388 and I decided to try raising the fermentation temp based on what I read in "Brew Like a Monk". I let fermentation start at 68 degrees for a day and a half, then turned it up to 80. My question is how long is it recommended to keep the temp elevated before settling back to room temp? I was going to transfer to the secondary soon (it's been about a week), should I heat the secondary or let it go? It would be nice to use the heat wrap for another belgian beer but I can wait if need be.

i hope you slowly ramped the temp up to 80 and didn't just crank it up. once fermentation is over you don't need to keep the temp up. by that point the yeast are done and are cleaning up after themselves.

I brought it up over a period of an hour or so, I am guessing this was probably too fast? What is the recommended rate? I guess I'll see how the beer tastes in a few weeks.

i dont think you actually hurt anything. but when i did a belgian strong i ramped the temps up over the course of a week. 3 degrees one day 2 degrees the next day then 3 again till i reached my target temp. then i left it at my target temp for 3 weeks. i bottled a couple weeks ago and haven't tried it yet.

Back