how well do you control ferm temps with a fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amh0001

Reaction score
I recently was able to get a free mini fridge to ferment with. I also have an external thermo. My recent batch had a crazy ferm and rose 10 degrees! I had the fridge at 64 and came home to find it at 74. I then cranked down the thermo to 54 eventually bringing it down. My questions are:

What do you initially set your temps to before ferm has begun? Do you shoot for the bottom of the style and let the rise go?

I read that its good to let your temps stay at 70 until ferm begins. Is this true?

Last, seeing as I crnked the fridge down, how bad will that swing be for the yeast finishing up? What can I do to prevent as much temp swing while ferming?

Thanks

It sounds as if you aren't adequately controlling temperature of your fermentation. The trick is to allow the external thermostat to monitor the temperature of the fermentation vessel, not the air around it.

I tape the probe of the external thermostat to the side of the fermenter so that is will turn on/turn off the refrigerator when the fermentation vessel gets too warm.

I velcro the probe for the temp controller to the carboy(covering the outside of probe with a dry washcloth), and I have the usual temps marked on top of the fridge so I can set the dial to the correct temp prior to brewing. I figured these settings using a carboy full of water as a test bed. now I just set and forget at the temps I need to ferment at. for notty in Edworts Haus ale I set my dial to 64, this results in 62 degrees at the fermenter in my system. its trial and error and taking the time to let the water hit the temps you want, I spent a week tweaking each temp setting I usually use

I set my controller for the low end of the yeast's temperature range. I tape the probe to the side of the fermenter. I've checked the min/max during a fermentation and most of the time it will stay within 3-4F.

Wow!

First of all thank you for the fast replies. broadbill, you are correct i had the thermo just hanging in the fridge. Which leads me to wonder:

How are you guys attatching the thermo to the carboy? just some tape?

also any awnswer to my other questions would be great!

tHANKS

Another option is a thermowell, check out Derrin's work here:
http://stirplates.com/tWellStraight.htm

Here is mine, can't see too well but it's in the middle one.

P1050576.JPG

Wow!

First of all thank you for the fast replies. broadbill, you are correct i had the thermo just hanging in the fridge. Which leads me to wonder:

How are you guys attatching the thermo to the carboy? just some tape?

also any awnswer to my other questions would be great!

tHANKS

I tape a folded up piece of bubblewrap to the side of the fermenter with some duct tape. I then tuck the thermo. probe in between the bubblewrap and the side of the fermenter. Works like a charm.

hey that looks pretty interesting Humann. I guess I would have to get a stopper that could fit that and a blow off?

Back