Imperial Stout moved to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
Just moved my modified imperial stout to secondary fermenter. OG was 1.114 and took another reading just before transfer - 1.032. Is that the ideal time for FG or should I take that at bottling time? Currently, that equals right at 10% ABV. Beersmith says to leave in secondary for 7 days. Any reccomendations for length of time? This puppy will definately age in the bottles however....
My hydrometer sample tastes mighty fine even though still on the green side. I can already tell this will be a fine stout.

TxT

Any reccomendations for length of time? This puppy will definately age in the bottles however....
My hydrometer sample tastes mighty fine even though still on the green side. I can already tell this will be a fine stout.
TxT

Why not store it in secondary to bulk age it? For the most part, most high gravity beers i have will be covered with a shirt and left to age for a number of months. I think it tends to make the flavor better.

For the secondary, wait until it stops dropping trub. If theres more than 1/2 inch down there you may have to rack again or just leave it behind when you syphon...you should be good after about 10+ days. I leave mine for around 20 days

I just bottled my Imperial Stout after about 2 months in the secondary. I plan to leave it to bottle age until November. Tasting great so far - can't wait to start drinking it!

so for the very least 2 - 3 weeks in secondary. Gotcha. Thats about what I was planning anyway. As for the bottling, I planned on aging for an additional few months. I'm really anxios to drink though! I can still taste definate green but the flavor is good. I was expecting more green that it was. May leave in secondary for longer anyway as I collect more 120z fliptop bottles. I have several 1/2 litre and 1 litre fliptops but love those little 12oz. Problem is I have to drink whats in 'em first. lol

Thanks,
TxT

Latest posts

Back