Talkin about my (yeast) generation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
So I am going to re-use some yeast this weekend I saved back in October, a Wyeast 1028 London Ale.

This will be the 2nd generation of this yeast. How many generations of yeast can I go with this stuff before I have to open my cheap skate wallet and buy some more?

I have heard 3 generations. I have heard indefinately. But I haven't heard a consensus. How many generations will you save yeast for? If I do try to save it indefinitely, what will happen to it over time? Will it start tasting weird, or will it not ferment as strongly, or what consequences can I look forward to?

Thanks!

I am on generation 3 now with my Nottingham. I heard Jamil on one of the Can You Brew It shows say that he believes yeast doesn't really come into it's own unique flavor til between the 3rd to 8th generation. Hence developing your own true house flavor.

The answer is: until you get an infection which will likely come before mutation in 20-30 generations. Lots won't go past ten. If you can do closed transfers and pull yeast from a conical without trub, you could probably get to ten without much contamination worry. If you're doing somewhat open transfers, I wouldn't go beyond 5 and I'd always do a starter to make sure it smelled alright before pitching.

The last batch I made w a 6th generation 1272 was awesome: clean, crisp and just a hint of stone fruit. I actually prefer it to gen 1.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

I've gone 4 gens with no problem, and heard the same from Jamil as the prior post-er. I think the key, however, is SANITATION SANITATION SANITATION!

You can go as long as you like providing you don't get an infection.

But .... the character of the yeast will change with each use, maybe for the better, but generally for the worse. The way we use the yeast and the way we harvest it will determine what characteristics are selected. For example:

- If we rack after a week and harvest that yeast, we will improve flocculation characteristics, but reduce the attenuation.

- If we just harvest from the secondary (because it is easier and cleaner), we will be selecting the less flocculant yeast, but get higher attenuation characteristics.

- We ferment under pressure (2+foot of liquid), which changes the yeast.

- The temperature we ferment at also provides selection.

It takes a few generations to noticeably change, but eventually it will.

Back