Dead Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrew75

Reaction score
I brewed and bottled my second batch of beer. I used a clone recipe from BYO magazine(recipe follows), which used a liquid yeast WLP029. I bottled a week ago, and it has been at 70 degrees since. So far, I have almost no carbonation, and the yeast has settled. When I roll the bottles to mix up the yeast, it breaks off in chunks. My first batch I brewed with dry yeast and always had a sediment in the bottom of the bottles that would become foggy and not chunky when rolled. My first batch was also carbonated after about five days. I see that some forums recommend 3 weeks and up to 5 weeks for conditioning. Howver I'm still worried that my yeast may have given up on me for some reason. Any ideas?

Easy Streat Wheat Clone
1.75 lb Wheat DME
3.3 lb Wheat LME
1 lb Wheat malt
.5 lb Munich malt
2 oz crystal Malt
3.5 AAU Cascade Hops 60 mins
3 AAU Saaz Hops 2 mins
4 AAU Tettnang Hops 2 mins
WLP029 yeast
3/4 cup priming sugar

Just depends on the yeast sometimes. Give it more time and swirl all the bottles to get them in suspension.

If they do not carb up within another week or so then post back here.

Revvy is right, I have a RIS that refuses to carb. I'm not worried, it will when its ready, then I will get super smashed & drink what I havent already.

Back