How to add oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Beer has been in the primary now for a week and a half. Need to add the oak chips but don't know the right proceedure.

Sanitation?

Throw them in or put in a bag?

most people soak the oak cubes in whiskey for about two weeks and then add whiskey and oak cubes into secondary for about a week i think

Over oaked has been my problem in the one attempt. 2oz light toast in a imperial stout - even 6 months later the tannins are way too extreme. Go lighter than you think...

I referred to >THIS< article from BYO with my first oaked beer, it was very informative for sanitation, as well as how to measure the amount of oak you should use (I was originally trying to figure out a weight not realizing that weight has nothing to do with the measurement, it's square inch of contact with the beer that matters).

Hope it helps!

Want to keg Sunday. Wanted to keep the oak chips in for at least 4 days.

Fishing line and a muslin bag and you can add them in the keg and remove later. Just a quick thought - never tried it but can't see why it wouldnt work.

most people soak the oak cubes in whiskey for about two weeks and then add whiskey and oak cubes into secondary for about a week i think

Just a FYI to anyone trying this. I made a Bourbon Barrel Porter earlier this year, and added both the bourbon and chips to the beer. Might have been a mistake - the taste of bourbon is really strong even after 6 months of aging in the keg. A local brew-master who makes a damn fine aged porter at his brewery later suggested that it's better not to add the whiskey to the beer.
FWIW.

Back