Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitely going to brew this for my youtube channel using the grainfather. This looks like a beautiful irish red ale. Cheers!

Here it is 2 weeks later

image.jpg

I like it! You can call it the Raging Canadian! I may try that next time I make this.

I made this beer using dark amber maple syrup instead of the honey and it was a hit with everyone that tried it and placed fourth in its category at the state fair. The maple was not inherently detectable as maple syrup, but it definitely added a unique underlying quality that played very well with the toffee flavors from the malt bill. Highly recommended riff on a great recipe!

I made this beer using dark amber maple syrup instead of the honey and it was a hit with everyone that tried it and placed fourth in its category at the state fair. The maple was not inherently detectable as maple syrup, but it definitely added a unique underlying quality that played very well with the toffee flavors from the malt bill. Highly recommended riff on a great recipe!

Dang it, I just made this one again and forgot to try the Maple syrup thing. How much did you add?

Thanks OP, brewed it as well currently crashing it! Anybody have advice on how much priming sugar they added during bottling? Thanks again!

Brewed today OG came in at 1.060 with wort around 80-90 degrees. Great red color and just pitched the starter of 001. Will let you know where it finishes

Brewed this for the first time today. Overshot my efficiency a tad bit....Post boil Gravity was 1.064. I used hallertau instead of crystal. The post boil gravity sample was DELICIOUS! This will be my first kegged beer and I can't wait!!! Fermenting with S-04 at 66 degrees. We'll see what we get!

OG came in at 1.010. Carbing in keg now. Will pull a pint in about a week.

Fermented at 68 for 15 days, 24 hour cold crash at 33 not worrying about fineings this time around.

Last edited:
Just brewed this yesterday. Switched from Fly Sparge to Batch Sparge and finally hit my 75% efficiency target. Sample tasted amazing, cant wait for this one as well.

Heating the strike water for this as I type. Thanks again for sharing this recipe.

This by far the best recipe I ever brewed (may be biased as I'm an Irish red fan)

Can't wait to get the issues with my process fixed so I can try to replicate. May be tricky because I have to include a 3 day power outage during which the better bottle froze solid

Brewed this 12 days ago and took a gravity reading tonight. Tried a sample of it and this is a very smooth tasting beer. I really like how this is coming out so far.

Brewed this up earlier this year and have had almost every bottle explode on me.

Process:
* Brewed it up and waited three weeks to test gravity the hopefully FG.
* Waited another week and tested again, gravity stayed the same.
* Added priming sugar solution to bottling bucket, and racked.
* Bottled into 100% brand new, sanitized bottles.
* Bottles were excessively carbonated within a few weeks and got more so as time went on.
* Went on vacation, and came home to 16 of 24 bottles exploded and all over the basement floor.

What the hell happened? I'm super meticulous about sanitization and cleanliness. Tried the beer pre-bottling and it seemed just fine, no clues to infection. Gravity was stable over the span of the week.

Any ideas? This isn't the first time I've had bottle bombs..
Should I just pasteurize from here on? Not sure what the issue is.

Really like the taste of caraaroma. Seems like a massive amount to put in a batch but who am I to argue with over a 100 pages of rave reviews? Have made some great beers with a half pound or so of caraaroma so I know what kind of deliciousness is in store...

Planning to make 2 five gallon batches and alter it like so:
-Notty yeast and maple sugar instead of honey in one half.
-Few liters of top off water and Windsor yeast in the other half, no honey or anything. Windsor yeast has pretty low attenuation so that'll result in sweet weak beer which my wife likes. Top off water is to keep it from being cloying.

And it's brewed. The LHBS was out of 2-row (the ****?) so I substituted half Vienna and half Pilsner.

Just bottled mine. Miscalculated on the water so ended up with it watered down a bit from where I wanted it but tastes incredible and is bright bright bright red and clear. Not really sweet at all despite a lot of very flavorful specialty malts.

so i made a 12 gallon batch this time. i used the recommended and tested true California ale yeast in one carboy. and an Irish ale yeast in the other. anyone tried this before? i just thought an Irish red should have an Irish yeast? ill try and post the results.

Brewed this up earlier this year and have had almost every bottle explode on me.

Process:
* Bottles were excessively carbonated within a few weeks and got more so as time went on.
* Went on vacation, and came home to 16 of 24 bottles exploded and all over the basement floor.

What the hell happened? I'm super meticulous about sanitization and cleanliness. Tried the beer pre-bottling and it seemed just fine, no clues to infection. Gravity was stable over the span of the week.

agree. it sounds like you used to much priming sugar. i have never had that issue with this beer.

Process:

Yeah how much priming sugar did you use?

Sorry I didn't want to read through 100 pages to find an answer but what is the premise for the honey? It just seems odd (as a new brewer) in an Irish Red. I saw a couple people use different kinds of sugar as substitutes. Are you just pouring honey into the kettle? This looks like an awesome recipe and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sorry I didn't want to read through 100 pages to find an answer but what is the premise for the honey? It just seems odd (as a new brewer) in an Irish Red. I saw a couple people use different kinds of sugar as substitutes. Are you just pouring honey into the kettle? This looks like an awesome recipe and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Think the honey was just for booze for the most part. Little extra kick without making the body too thick.

Beer's fine without it. Made a split batch with half Notty yeast and the honey swapped for some maple I got cheap and wasn't doing anything with and half watered down with no honey or anything and with Windsor yeast (very low attenuating) for a work night drink and that's quite tasty since it's low in alcohol but has enough flavor that I don't want to gulp it, perfect for with dinner or on a week night.

Oh and you've gotta let this one age a bit not drink it as soon as the bottles carb. Has a kind of twangy plastic/sweet sharpness before it mellows out beautifully.

One other point is the aftertaste, it just goes on and on and on. Can taste the beer a ful ten seconds after I've drank some. Lovely stuff.

Made a 10 gallon batch today. That makes 20 gallons total for this recipe everyone loves this one. My efficency went up today though and hit 1.064 og so I left out the honey hopefully it won't change the flavor without it.

Traistbrew, how did the Irish ale yeast work out. I have some and was thinking along the same lines as you. I've made this once before and it was awesome, I hate to mess with a good thing but if it saves me a trip to the LHBS (2.5 hours away) or shipping cost I'm game.

so i made a 12 gallon batch this time. i used the recommended and tested true California ale yeast in one carboy. and an Irish ale yeast in the other. anyone tried this before? i just thought an Irish red should have an Irish yeast? ill try and post the results.
So what the verdict??
Brewing this tomorrow and was thinking the same thing. I have S04 and S05 on hand and was thinking of a split batch. I was also thinking both with S04 as I don't want a super clean Yuengling beer. The beer is boring to me. How did yours turn out?

I just finished bottle conditioning this fine recipe.
I used Dennys Favorite 1450 Wyeast.

Its really nice and smooth, I'm a big fan. Bright Clear Red.

I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

Excuse my lack of knowledge, Im just starting. When you say "1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM)" do you mean real Honey or some Honey malt?
If I can find all the ingredients, I will try this récipe ASAP.
Thanks!

Back