10.10.10 Recipe Discussion Thread - The HBT Anniversary Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't have to add oak to an entire batch.

I am not a big oak fan at all, and would prefer to leave it out. However, I could be persuaded to add a bit of oak to a couple gallons and see where it goes.

TL

I've never done one of these epic group brews but I'd def be in for a BGSA. I've got two going right now (Tripel or BGSA...seems they are very close) and another to brew soon. I'm trying the exact same recipe: 12# Pils/.5# CaraPils/1.5# Cane sugar but using three different yeasts; WLP500, 570, and 530 (in order of decreasing fruitiness and increasing spice...as far as I can tell).

Never tried oak but would be open to try it.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing with this...inspired by the book Wild Brews... 'Cuz a simple oak aged BGSA just isn't epic enough for me. :D

Take Jason's recipe (looks great!)... brew up 15 gallons. On 10 of them, ferment down to 1.020 or so and crash cool to stop fermentation to leave food for the bugs. Filter out the primary yeast going into the secondary, drop in some oak cubes, and drop in a few smack packs of Roselare blend. :rockin: The remaining 5 will be allowed to ferment out and will be kegged to use for blending.

After a year, I'll blend the non-sour beer and the sour beer to taste, stabilize the blended beer so the bugs don't keep eating at the residual sugars in the fresh beer, force carb, bottle, and release as my 10/10/10 Flanders. Whatever virgin beer is left will go into the cask to replenish the sour beer I took out, leaving me with 10 gallons to age another year. I'll then rebrew another 5 gallons of fresh beer which will be used to blend the following year.

The aging cask will probably be a food grade plastic barrel with oak cubes, unless I can find a suitable oak barrel 10 or 15 gallons in size that won't cost me a years' brewing budget to buy...

Not everybody will want to do this, so I'm still in for the swap, I'll brew up 5 gallons of whatever everybody else does and the lucky dude who draws my name will get the geuze-like 10/10/10 Flanders beer as well as the 10/10/10. :drunk: :drunk:

Take Jason's recipe (looks great!)... brew up 15 gallons. On 10 of them, ferment down to 1.020 or so and crash cool to stop fermentation to leave food for the bugs. Filter out the primary yeast going into the secondary, drop in some oak cubes, and drop in a few smack packs of Roselare blend. The remaining 5 will be allowed to ferment out and will be kegged to use for blending.

Excellent in theory, but I think you're going to have some troubles:

1) You want a very fermentable wort for the BGSA and a more dextrinous wort for the Roselare buggies - can't have both. ;)
2) With a Belgian strain, it's going to be pretty damn attenuative to begin with. Not sure how you'll stop it at 1.020.

Here's an idea! Do a Flanders pale - BGSA grain bill, up the wheat but lose the sucrose, mash high at 156 or so and pitch Roselare directly. You'll want to cut the IBUs down a fair bit and lose the late additions. Let the character from the bugs really shine.

I think we should do a full-on bugged brew for 11-11-11 (all those ones in the date remind me of little bug legs). I would like to make a non-bugged belgian this round.

Then we have 12-12-12, 11-12-13, and the last one (I think) 12-13-14!

I think we should do a full-on bugged brew for 11-11-11 (all those ones in the date remind me of little bug legs). I would like to make a non-bugged belgian this round.

Like your thinking, Tom. I ain't scared o' no bugs....but I think some folks here might shy away from the funk in (irrational IMO) fear of infecting their breweries.

Just remember, gang - those bugs are all over your brewery and living spaces as it is now. :)

1) You want a very fermentable wort for the BGSA and a more dextrinous wort for the Roselare buggies - can't have both. ;)

Yep would be mashing higher than your specs, upping the wheat maybe. Not sure about the sugar. I don't want to mess with the gravity. The higher gravity of the wort will allow the brett character to dominate since the lacto will be subdued once it gets over 8%; I need to be sure I stop primary fermentation before it gets over 8% ABV so some lacto sourness comes through though.

2) With a Belgian strain, it's going to be pretty damn attenuative to begin with. Not sure how you'll stop it at 1.020.

Crash cooling it and filtering out the primary yeast should do the trick. ;) Wineries do this all the time, so I think it would work here, I'll just have to keep a careful eye on the gravity so it doesn't dry out while I'm not looking. I want some of the character of the primary yeast strain in there which is why I don't like the idea of using the Roselare all the way.

This idea was partly inspired by a couple of guys in the club who are doing a Fred Flanders. They mashed high, primaried with US-05 and added the Roselare in the secondary. I want some Lambic character in my Flander-ized version but not enough that folks would consider it a Lambic.

Sounds like a plan. :)

11/12 is my birthday, we'll have to go all out on that recipe! :)

I'm down with a Golden Belgian, but no oaking for me. I'm just not a huge fan (although like others I certainly wouldn't mind trying someone else's). Likewise no bugs. I aint s'cr'd, I just don't like the flavors they impart. I like my Belgian clean.

Would also like to mention that even if you're not a HUGE fan of whatever beer we decide to brew, it's fun to do it just for the experience. I'd never even had a barleywine when I got in on the 999, just did it for the swap. Plus I don't mind having something in the cellar, even if I don't like it. Just to say I have a beer that's two years old.

I'll do a 10gal batch, and only oak half of it. While I have had good examples, I agree that it can be unpredictable... and with how much time will be spent on this one, I want to have something that I'll be proud to send out to somebody else.

I like this plan! I have been wanting to try a bug-brew, but I have to wait till I have more time/money/room. By 5/10 I should be a working man again with an income, and hopefully we will move to somewhere where I can spread my brewing stuff out since SWMBO has already approved a brewshed as long as she can get an office ;).

I am 100% for a strong golden for 10-10-10, and doing something sour for the 11's!!!

Now, are we going to stick with the recipe above (which looks good IMHO) or is Brewpastor going to come up with something that fills out the numbers for the sake of tradition?

Time to start planning the 11-11-11 bug brew. I think we need a new thread for that one.

I also think that at this point a clean Belgian would be the way to go. Plus with the planned gravity the bugs won't be much active. I may have to still get in on this beer even though I don't care much for Belgian golden ales. I'm sure this would be nice on occassion and should age reasonably well.

Sacc, I see you are planning on over achieving again on the anniversary brews. You are supposed to ship 4 beers not 12 :D
I am really looking forward to trying all those beers from the 9-9-9 swap, but it may take me a while to get to them all.

Craig

i think for a huge swap like this, a huge belgium isnt popular enough. some people love belgiums, lots hate them or atleast dont prefer them. i think a poll is reallly needed for something like this.

im all up for some kind of porter. a double robust porter, or triple porter, or a wood chip bourbon imperial porter. or even the triple ipa sounds great.

Well, if some folks are just against the Belgian character in this, you could always just brew it up and pitch in a clean American ale yeast. A 9% golden ale fermented with Cali Ale would still be a very tasty brew!

Not sure if this has been asked, I started going through all the posts, but 19 pages is too much!

Any chance us partial mashers can get in on this? I don't think I'll have made the switch to AG before this needs to be brewed.

Not sure if this has been asked, I started going through all the posts, but 19 pages is too much!

Any chance us partial mashers can get in on this? I don't think I'll have made the switch to AG before this needs to be brewed.

Someone usually posts a PM recipe for the brew. If proper extract is/was available I'd be all for included PM brewers.

Most certainly! I'd be happy to convert my recipe for you, if it is the direction we ultimately go.

i think for a huge swap like this, a huge belgium isnt popular enough. some people love belgiums, lots hate them or atleast dont prefer them. i think a poll is reallly needed for something like this.

im all up for some kind of porter. a double robust porter, or triple porter, or a wood chip bourbon imperial porter. or even the triple ipa sounds great.

Not to be a priggish arsehole, but these big swaps are for premium members to cut down on welching and to keep participants accountable. So if you want to participate and voice your opinion on the 10.10.10, time to pony up (and I really don't mean to sound like a prick, and I apologize if this comes across that way).

FYI - that tripel IPA is decidedly Belgian. ;)

Of course, participation isn't compulsory so you can certainly tell me to shove it. :mug:

Jason

Not to be a priggish arsehole, but these big swaps are for premium members to cut down on welching and to keep participants accountable. So if you want to participate and voice your opinion on the 10.10.10, time to pony up (and I really don't mean to sound like a prick, and I apologize if this comes across that way).

FYI - that tripel IPA is decidedly Belgian. ;)

Of course, participation isn't compulsory so you can certainly tell me to shove it. :mug:

Jason

10/10/2010 is a long time away, i got plenty of time. plus, even if i buy a year now, it will be expired by the time the swap comes around

and for the ipa, i was referring to a triple(as in 3x), not tripel

10/10/2010 is a long time away, i got plenty of time. plus, even if i buy a year now, it will be expired by the time the swap comes around

and for the ipa, i was referring to a triple(as in 3x), not tripel

However, I doubt a non-supporting member's vote won't hold a whole lot of weight when the time comes to pick a style/recipe/whatever. ;)

Well I am a supporting member and would like to have a poll. I don't care for the style either. But if it's the general consensus that's great.

Poll.. poll.. poll..

And I suggest that the venerable Brewpastor decide what goes up on the poll and has input into the final recipe, because, well, he just kicks @$$. :D

Where the heck is Chriso these days anyway??? :confused:

I'd imagine a poll or informal polling will come online around the end of July. That gives a few months to get the beer brewed and then time to settle in for the long haul of aging another epic beer.

[size=+2]Devil May Cry (10.10.10 Edition)[/size]
[size=+1]18-D Belgian Golden Strong Ale[/size]
Author: Jason Konopinski
Date: 3/30/09

Size: 6.0 gal
Efficiency: 80%
Attenuation: 85%
Calories: 337.83 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.102 (1.070 - 1.095)
|============================#===|
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.005 - 1.016)
|======================#=========|
Color: 6.24 (3.0 - 6.0)
|=========================#======|
Alcohol: 11.51% (7.5% - 10.5%)
|=============================#==|
Bitterness: 51.8 (22.0 - 35.0)
|================================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
15.5 lb Pilsner Malt
10.0 oz Belgian Munich
10 oz White Wheat Malt
3.0 lb White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
1 oz Galena (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale (MASSIVE STARTER)

00:03:00 Dough In - Liquor: 5.33 gal; Strike: 161.97 °F; Target: 149 °F
01:33:00 Saccharification Rest - Rest: 90 min; Final: 147.3 °F
02:03:00 Lautering - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 145 °F, 10 min; Sparge #1: 2.05 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Sparge #2: 2.05 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 10.0 min; Total Runoff: 7.61 gal

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3[/size]

Your assuming 80% efficiency. Is that normal for this high of a gravity? I was under the impression that efficiency might be reduced with this big a beer.

Your assuming 80% efficiency. Is that normal for this high of a gravity? I was under the impression that efficiency might be reduced with this big a beer.

Good catch! I neglected to make that adjustment when I scaled the recipe - 70% is a far more realistic number for a beer of this gravity.

Back