Dry Wine Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukie

Reaction score
Does anyone know very dry wine kits (in the 1-7grams/litre range)? For some reason, all the kits I've purchased so far clock in at around 6-7 Brix at bottling time. Unless, I'm reading this whole thing wrong, according to this chart (http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm) that's a whopping 57-70 grams of sugar per litre. They certainly taste drier than that, even right after bottling, so I'm confused and perhaps doing the measurements wrong. So far I've bought the 23L kits from Costco and one RJS Crew Select, which were all supposed to be dry wine but all finished at 6-7 Brix. :confused:

I don't think the final brix tells you whether the wine will be dry or not. It is the difference between the OG and the FG. If you have a higher OG the FG may be high and still have a dry wine. If you have a low OG and a high FG the wine will be sweet. That is sugars left that were not converted to alcohol by the yeast.

I don't think the final brix tells you whether the wine will be dry or not. It is the difference between the OG and the FG. If you have a higher OG the FG may be high and still have a dry wine. If you have a low OG and a high FG the wine will be sweet. That is sugars left that were not converted to alcohol by the yeast.

Thanks, that's a relief. So, for a wine that has an OG of 23 Brix and an FG of 7 Brix, how can I figure out it's grams of sugar per litre?

I have no idea and have never given the amount of sugar left a thought.

Hm, there's got to be a calculation for this. I want to bring in my wine kits to a similar sugar level of store bought wines, the lower the better.

yeah, your testing equipment or methods may be off. 1.028 would be a sweet mess.

Does anyone know very dry wine kits (in the 1-7grams/litre range)? For some reason, all the kits I've purchased so far clock in at around 6-7 Brix at bottling time. Unless, I'm reading this whole thing wrong, according to this chart (http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm) that's a whopping 57-70 grams of sugar per litre. They certainly taste drier than that, even right after bottling, so I'm confused and perhaps doing the measurements wrong. So far I've bought the 23L kits from Costco and one RJS Crew Select, which were all supposed to be dry wine but all finished at 6-7 Brix. :confused:

is this a refractometer reading? Because something in the mid 20's Brix OG that goes dry is going to measure approximately 7 brix with a refractometer.

Back