Need Pumpkin ale receipe - birthday present

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost

Reaction score
Well.. 59 minutes ago my girlfriend turned 21.. too bad she's been asleep for 2 hours now :( big test tommorow. Anyhow, being an enthusiastic homebrewer I want to get her invovled in the hobby (she does make blueberry wine though). Problem is, she doesn't like beer... now I know what you're saying.. sacrilege.. yes, yes I know. I've been working on her for the last couple years especially after I turned 21 two years ago. No dice...

But.. I tried some Shipyard ale pumpkinhead ale around thanksgiving time and found it quite delicious.. surpisingly she could actually drink it (maybe not enjoy it but hey.. it's a start). So, I'd like to brew a batch of pumpkin ale for her for her birthday - she's been asking me to do it. I'd like to do it too but I'm just worried since it's such an unconventional brew.. I don't really know how much spice to add and I definitely don't want to overdo it. I'd hate to dump out 6hrs of my hard work. I do know that shipyard ale uses wheat malt.. though it doesn't have that distinctive wheat like tang after taste that results from, I think, the yeast. So, do any of y'all have any experience with pumpkin brews? Yes, I've look at the catsmeow for ideas and have a few but everyone seems to have their own take and I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done it themselves. Obviously, it'll have to be canned pumpkin since it's no longer fall.. but how much should I use? When do I spice it - end of the boil or in the secondary? Decoction mashing or infusion? Do I need to use six row for the extra enzymes b/c of all the pumpkin or will two row be ok? How about a neutral dry yeast such as nottingham? Any aroma hops or just bittering? Ah, so many questions.

My thoughts for the grainbill right now are as follows:
2.5 lbs American 6 row
4 lbs Wheat malt
2 lbs Crystal 10L
???? cans of pumpkin (no presevatives or spices.. the all-natural stuff). The grains get me up to a projected 4.6 ABV or 1.047OG in a 5.25 gal batch.. how much fermentables wil I get from the pumpkin? I'd like to hit 5.2-5.5% or around 1.054OG.

Here is a recipe I made many, many moons ago--it is an extract recipe, but you can convert:
grains:

7 lbs. dlme
.5 crystal 40
.25 black patent
.25 victory malt

hops:

I did Cascade and Saaz as follows:

1 oz cascade 60
.5 cascade 20
.5 cascade 10
1 oz saaz 5

I I modified the original recipe which called for an ounce of centennial for 60 and a 1/2 ounce of tettnanger for 5.

other goods:

2 tsp nutemeg
1 tsp allspice
5 lbs baked pumpkin (scoop pumpkin out and cut pumpkin in to 2" chunks and bake at 350 for 30 minutes) Add pumpkin at the end of the boil and steep for 20 minutes. you can substitute canned.

I also added a pound of honey, which boosted the alcohol, made fermentation take a looong time, and resulted in a very dry, crisp beer in the end. OG was 1.070

tweak as you please.

Latest posts

Back