Clarification Needed - Jennifer Talley "Bell's Oarsman Ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knox

Reaction score
Hey Homebrewtalk,

I stumbled upon a weird thing in Jennifer Talley's "Session Beers: brewing for flavor and balance". On page 167 she provides a recipe for Bell's Oarsman Ale and in the recipe she writes the following for the malt bill.

MALTS
42.5% two-row pale malt
42.5% wheat
9% pale malt
6% Carapils (dextrine malt)
The item that throws me off is the 9% pale malt. Does anybody know what she means here?
I understand that in the US there is this whole two-row pale malt and pale ale malt distinction. But somehow I feel like that is not what she means in this recipe. To me it would be silly to through in an inconsequential amount of pale ale malt in this recipe.

Thanks and cheers!

For example:
Briess 2-row Brewer’s Malt—
1.8° L. An American 2-Row malt of exceptional quality. Very consistent malt with a clean, sweet malty flavor. Excellent base for all American beer styles.

Briess Pale Ale Malt—
3.5° L. A bit darker than regular 2-Row malt, with a fuller and nuttier taste. Lends depth and character to British ales or to American Amber Ales, Porters, and more.

Maybe she thinks there’s enough of a flavor differential to justify using it… just guessing.

For example:
Briess 2-row Brewer’s Malt—
1.8° L. An American 2-Row malt of exceptional quality. Very consistent malt with a clean, sweet malty flavor. Excellent base for all American beer styles.

Briess Pale Ale Malt—
3.5° L. A bit darker than regular 2-Row malt, with a fuller and nuttier taste. Lends depth and character to British ales or to American Amber Ales, Porters, and more.

Maybe she thinks there’s enough of a flavor differential to justify using it… just guessing.
Thanks for the clarification. Where I live American Two-Row is not available, but I guess I can use a bit of Pilsner malt. I am not sure what flavour difference could pop up with only 9% Pale Ale malt. 🤷‍♂️

I will make this this late winter so it is ready for spring :)

Cheers

I'm wondering if its a mistake and its supposed to be pale crystal?
https://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/british-pale-crystal-25l-fawcett-1-lb/
Originally I was thinking the same, but I was unsure due to the American base malt distinction. I guess I could make two batches of it, one with Crystal and the other with some Pale Ale, to see which one I like the best.

What I have just discovered is that American maltsters sell their two-row malt as pilsner malt in Europe. Which at least clarifies that for me.

i would use Maris Otter for the 9% pale malt,since she specifies American for the first one.
Exactly this^^^^

I'm reading her book right now and believe that M.O. is what is called for: a small addition of a slightly sweeter/fuller grist to help balance the finished beer, adding 'that little something' to make you want another beer without smacking you in the face with gimmicks. Lots of subtle little tweaks to help carry the load. It a good read.

i would use Maris Otter for the 9% pale malt,since she specifies American for the first one.
Okay I will write it down. :)

Exactly this^^^^

I'm reading her book right now and believe that M.O. is what is called for: a small addition of a slightly sweeter/fuller grist to help balance the finished beer, adding 'that little something' to make you want another beer without smacking you in the face with gimmicks. Lots of subtle little tweaks to help carry the load. It a good read.
Always lovely with a second opinion :) Thanks for the info.

Back