Just Kegged, Need some Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post to the forums. I've been brewing for near 5 years now and have just started kegging. I have a corny keg and a c02 tank and regulator.

I have a few questions.

1. My pressure on my C02 tank dropped from 800 to 650 in 1 day after first opening the valves to the keg @ 10psi and 50 degrees. Is that normal, or do I have a leak? I can't see anything with the soapy water method, but my sight is not too good either.

2. I noticed all of my glasses I pour are super foamy, so I dropped the psi to 8, reduced the temperature to 40*F and did a quick purge. My line is probably 2.5 feet? How should that do?

3. I want to bottle and have one of those counter pressure bottlers, how the heck do I use that thing?

Thanks,
~Brewing

Your line length is the cause of the foamy pour, try 10 feet, it should resolve itself.

The High Pressure gauge isn't a reliable way to tell how much CO2 is left, it will maintain 600-800 PSI at room temp (much lower in the fridge) until all of the liquid CO2 is gone, and then it will drop very rapidly as the remaining gas is used.

Sorry my perception of length is pretty horrible. I just took a measuring tape to it and it seems to be a 5' line. It is a black pre-built line I purchased from American Brew-Master as part of the kit.

1. The pressure gauge for the tank is pretty much usless till it's completely empty. If you don't see any leaks, especcially with the bubble test, i'm sure you'll be ok.

2. The temp of the beer and length of beer line are very important. The warmer the beer is, the more foam you'll get. Chill the beer and try going to 5' worth of line. Are you using a cobra tap? If so, usually i set mine to 5psi or so and that's more than enough for a cobra tap.

3. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/451/counterpressure_filler_instructions.pdf

Back